Close of preseason comments

1) We haven't seen that much of Juri Welch but to date, I am not impressed.
He better be able to shoot because I don't see anything that he does well. He
doesn't seem to had very good lateral quickness or speed. He doesn't appear to
be a great dribbler. He could use some time in the weight room also as his
legs are like pencils. With all these things not going for him, he must be able
to shoot lights out or I don't have the slightest idea what Danny saw in him.

2) If a guy only saw last night's game and didn't see the Wednesday's game,
you would have thought we got nothing for Walker (except the No. 1). LaFrenz
wasn't hitting, passing or rebounding and was getting his dunks blocked or just
fouling. See my comments above on Juri. Tommy was saying he envisioned the Cs
starting Blount and Baker with LaFrenz relieving both. You would think Raef
would be the starter for the contract he has. But Tommy said that the Cs think
Blount is a better defensive player than Battie. If it goes the way Tommy says,
Battie is the odd man out. This makes sense because I would hope they would
find a way to get Kendrick a few minutes here or there and if Battie is there,
he will gobble them up. I need to mention that it appeared that Battie was
limping throughout the fourth quarter.

3) Right now,  I would prefer to keep EWill. His expiring contract helps
financially but also he really can stabilize the second unit. He can add offense
in the post and he played some inspiring defense last night. One thing I didn't
like to see was EWill and Battie dogging up the floor on offense in the
latter half of the fourth quarter. That doesn't help the up-tempo offense and they
did lose all of the big lead because of it. I would be willing to part with
EWill and Battie if we could get the Cat, Nachbar and Griffen. I also saw
Nachbar last night and he looked like a much better prospect than Welch. Nachbar is
much more fluid and has much better quickness.

4) I think the Wolves fans are going to be real disappointed this year. They
still have the Big Ticket. But all the new guys they got are has-beens. That
is why they was able to trade for them. Kandi can play center but he is not an
upgrade on Rasho. I think they will be a first round flameout again this year.
At least McHale's efforts got KG signed again.

5) I got extremely angered last night when Banks determined it was his job to
take out the ball on made baskets. What is he thinking? Who is the point
guard? Where was Obie? Banks took out the ball three times in a row and we got
EWill and Walta bringing up the ball at peril. Then Banks gets a technical and
gets pulled from the game. Now I have noticed that Banks may need a guy to set a
pick for him to get him open to get the ball out of bounds. Right now the
defenders are draping over him and the refs aren't going to let the rookie get
any calls. So why doesn't Obie help him out? Or is it that Obie figures that
Banks should be able to get open and is letting him sink or swim? What ever the
reason, Banks shouldn't be taking out the ball and needs to stand there and
wait until someone else inbounds it or start yelling.

6) I see Juri, Hunter and Mills starting on the reserve squad.

7) I am starting to conclude that Danny likes the "triple threat" player, a
guy who can shoot, pass or dribble, the kind of player he was. The final
ingredient is to be able to think on the floor. That is where Walker missed the cut.

8) Baker posterized Mourning in the first quarter with a vicious dunk.
Celtsteve and I are still waiting for you knuckleheads to tip your cap to us on that
trade.

9) Thinking of how weight loss and getting in shape can make such a
difference, Vitally's game really changed when he hit the weightroom the summer after
we traded for him. He came back significantly bigger in the thighs and chest.
However, he lost significant hops and quickness and became a real plodder.
There is a happy medium somewhere there.....

DJessen33