Celts-Mavs Trade Analysis & Season Projections

Celts-Mavs Trade Analysis & Season Projections

Joe Schaller

Trade spells trouble: As a player for player trade I would initially say Dal
las got the better end of Raef LaFrentz for Antoine Walker and Tony Delk
however outside of contract considerations this is one of those deals that doesn't
make sense for either club.

First of all let's make it clear that Walker is vastly overrated as a guy who
shot 38% from the field, 61% free throws and 32% 3-pointers. LaFrentz is of
equal value to Walker and this would be a fine trade for Boston if they didn't
include Delk. Delk is coming off a career season as a sixth man guard with
excellent ballhandling skills, streaky shooting and overall nearly as valuable as
Walker. The loss of Delk puts a lot of pressure on Mike James and rookie
Marcus Banks creating a very suspect guard rotation for the Celts.

Walker won't be a problem for the Mavs if he is used judiciously off the
bench as a streak shooter. He does not have the ballhandling skills as claimed by
many-- Walker has always been turnover prone and now he joins the top
ballhandling team in NBA history. He may be a tough defender however he is a poor
rebounder. I rank him as the weakest front line player on the Mavs and if he plays
starters minutes he will obviously be cutting into the playing time of better
players such as Jamison, Nowitzki, Najera and even Fortson. If he doesn't get
his marquise minutes you can count on him pouting and becoming a disruptive
influence.

Years ago I implored the Celts to trade Walker and keep Dan Fortson. Fortson
never developed into the allstar I envisioned however it's odd they are
together again and in retrospect the Celts may have been better off trading Antoine
long ago.

What amazes me about Mark Cuban and the Mavs is their ability to squirm out
of numerous dubious acquisitions and signings of overrated and overpaid players
by finding other members of the NBA Old Boys Club more than willing to
accomodate them in a deal.

Bottom Line: Delk adds valuable depth to the guard rotation. As for Walker,
adding one of the league's perennial leaders in missed shots to the top
shooting club seems kind of stupid. On my season projections below I have actually
adjusted the Mavs downward since the trade.
Boston's weakness at point guard drops them out of the playoffs.

'03-'04 SEASON WINS PROJECTIONS

My season wins projections are calculated by estimating playing time (how
many minutes will Kobe play?) for 8 to 10 players from each team and multiplying
out with each players' projected TPR to obtain an average team TPR. The team
TPR is compared to the average NBA team TPR to give an estimated wins figure.
Several factors are used when projecting a players' TPR, primarily their
previous TPR history.

Upon return from my vacation I will put my predictions up against those of
Las Vegas' Imperial Palace.

Denver may surprise in the West with Marcus Camby's talents being overlooked
by many. Boston and Philadelphia should be disappointments in the East and San
Antonio will miss the presence of David Robinson.

'03-'04 West Wins Projection

61___Los Angeles Lakers

58___Dallas Mavericks

57___Sacramento Kings