Exhibition season ends on high notes

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 10/25/2003

The Nets may be limping into the regular season with Lucious Harris (sore
lower back) and Kenyon Martin (sprained right thumb) not with the team last
night at the FleetCenter and Jason Kidd out of uniform because of a coach's
decision.

But Boston will take an 86-82 victory over New Jersey as a sign of progress.
In fact, there were plenty of encouraging signs in the Celtics' final
exhibition game.

The Celtics led, 48-26, at halftime, holding the Nets to 25 shooting percent
from the floor. They recorded 21 assists. They won despite Paul Pierce (11
points in 21 minutes) staying on the bench for long stretches, including
almost the entire second half. They grabbed 36 rebounds. They shot 46.1
percent from the floor.

Eric Williams (8 points, 6 rebounds) and Vin Baker (8 points, 6 rebounds)
again put in strong performances, as did Tony Battie (15 points, 6 rebounds).

"Let's get on with the real stuff," said coach Jim O'Brien. "I'm glad to have
the exhibition season over and now we can get on with real life in the NBA. I
thought tonight it was the difference between two halves. We were very
aggressive in the first half, then they were the aggressor in the second
half."

Banking on him

Danny Ainge, director of basketball operations, has taken to personally
mentoring rookie point guard Marcus Banks. Last night after the game, the two
shared a somewhat lengthy, semiprivate conversation in the locker room.

"Me and Danny are pretty good friends," said Banks, who had 9 points, 4
assists, and 3 rebounds in 24 minutes. "We talk about everything. We were just
recapping the game, going over things I could have done better. Everything
will work out.

"Danny's been like a big brother to me. He's basically walked me through
everything every step of the way, even in practice. Before the team gets out
there, he's out there 30, 40 minutes before, [telling me], `You know, you need
to work on this. You need to do this.' Danny's a great guy.

"I really appreciate everything he's doing for me. He just wants me to be
comfortable out there on the floor."

Show of support

While O'Brien nears a decision on the Celtics' starting small forward, Kedrick
Brown had a strong backer in the visiting locker room.

New Jersey guard Kerry Kittles spent a couple of months last summer working
out with Brown at Santa Monica High School. They faced off against each other
every day and Kittles walked away very impressed.

"He worked at his game every day," said Kittles. "As [our personal trainer]
says, he's got a hell of a boost. You don't see that kind of athleticism very
often from a guy that size [6 feet 7 inches, 222 pounds]. He can play. He
competed. He got after it and he didn't back down and we matched up against
each other.

"He's pretty quick, laterally defensively, and that can give a lot of guys
trouble. He can be very disruptive. And his vertical leap, that's in a class
by itself. Now, it's just a matter of him getting time and getting used to the
NBA game."

O'Brien said last night's starting lineup would resemble what he would use
opening night. And for the record, it was Mark Blount at center, Baker at
power forward, Brown at small forward, Pierce at shooting guard, and Mike
James at point guard.

Ready to go

Walter McCarty has quietly played through the preseason, never complaining
about a sore back and never missing a practice. It's uncertain what role
McCarty will play with the reconfigured Celtics, though, as the regular season
progresses, O'Brien will undoubtedly make use of his versatility and ability
to start or come off the bench.

"I already know what [O'Brien] wants from me and he knows I know that," said
McCarty. "It's to be prepared to play three or four positions, come in and
bring energy, make things happen, rebound the ball, play good defense, take
open shots, and knock down open shots. That's pretty much my role, and it
doesn't change."

McCarty had 5 points and 2 rebounds in 30 minutes last night.

Leading the charge

Despite the departure of cocaptain Antoine Walker, O'Brien has no plans of
naming another captain besides Pierce. However, that does not mean other
players cannot assume more of a leadership role. Veterans McCarty and Williams
are solid candidates expected to fill the leadership void . . . Rookies
Brandon Hunter and Banks could have used a veteran to follow to the
FleetCenter last night. The players got lost in downtown Boston trying to find
the FleetCenter, missing the exit off Storrow Drive. They finally arrived at
6:30 p.m. for a 7:30 game. "If we wouldn't have done some illegal stuff, we
would still be out there driving," said Hunter, who led the two-car caravan.
"We've been on the road since 5 o'clock. Then, we couldn't find the locker
room when we got here. You make that wrong turn on Storrow and it's all
downhill from there." Added Banks: "I'm following people. I can't even find
the store."

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx