Trade with Houston Dispelled

I think we can all take a break from the trade speculation. The end of this
article from the Boston Globe dispels the rumors about Houston

Baker getting started
His comeback has an opening
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 10/24/2003

WALTHAM -- In the wake of the Antoine Walker trade, coach Jim O'Brien has
found some clarity concerning the Celtics' starting lineup. Yesterday after
practice, O'Brien named Vin Baker the starting power forward and Mike James
the starting point guard for Wednesday's season opener against Miami at the
FleetCenter.

The veterans join shooting guard Paul Pierce in a lineup that will be filled
out in the next few days. O'Brien is deciding between Mark Blount and Tony
Battie at center and between Eric Williams and Kedrick Brown at small
forward. In both cases, defensive play will be the determining factor.

Before discussing why O'Brien decided upon Baker and James, it's important
to offer a disclaimer. Given the dramatic changes made to the team just a
few days ago, fans should not draw many conclusions from the Celtics'
opening-night lineup. O'Brien reserves the right to change his mind (many
times, if necessary) as new acquisitions Raef LaFrentz and Jiri Welsch
adjust, as rookie point guard Marcus Banks matures, and as the Celtics'
chemistry develops. Even before Walker was dealt to Dallas, O'Brien had
talked about a rotation that would make the best use of Boston's depth.

"You would be reading in too much to put too much emphasis on the starting
lineup the first night," said O'Brien. "Again, this is not the type of
situation where I'm going with the same starting lineup for 80 games. I find
that highly unlikely. You can almost forget about it.

"There's too much strength at positions and depth at center, small forward,
power forward, and point guard that our guys have to know that when things
are equally balanced . . . the guys that will be on the court are the guys
that are performing to their maximum. If somebody is performing to their
maximum at the beginning of the season and then has a letdown from the
standpoint of effort, I'll make a change."

That said, Baker and James clearly have impressed O'Brien with their effort
-- particularly on defense -- in the preseason. The coach called Baker's
defense throughout training camp "excellent." When the 10-year veteran
grabbed 11 rebounds in 25 minutes Wednesday against Minnesota, it was just
the latest example of the impact he can make. Besides, there were really no
other viable candidates for starting power forward once Walker left.

O'Brien went with James at point guard because the veteran, he believes, has
"a better feel for the type of movement we want to get [on offense]." And
having spent the last two seasons under the tutelage of Pat Riley in Miami,
James has a solid understanding of the Celtics' style of defensive scheme.

"I've really been happy with Marcus's development," said O'Brien. "But I
think [Mike] has a better feel at the point -- not that it's dramatically
better. Marcus might be quicker and stronger than Mike and might ultimately
become a better defensive player than Mike. But Marcus has a long way to go
on defense, more than Mike does."

O'Brien may announce his starters at center and small forward soon after the
exhibition season concludes with tonight's game against New Jersey at the
FleetCenter. The coach already has a strong opinion, but he did not want to
share it. But he hinted that the lineup Boston plays tonight likely will
"resemble" the lineup fans will see on opening night.

If O'Brien goes with Blount and Brown, the Celtics will have four new
starters. At the very least, there will be two. The one constant through all
the changes has been Pierce. And so far the captain likes what he hears
about the starting lineup.

"I think we've formed some good chemistry, especially with Vin out there,"
said Pierce. "He's really playing well for us. He's rebounding the ball.
He's doing all the things we ask him to do.

"I think [O'Brien] doesn't really want to start Marcus because he doesn't
want to put that pressure on him, being a rookie. He's going to bring him
along slowly. Mike has a little more experience than Marcus Banks, so I'm
not surprised at the starting lineup so far."

Baker, James, and Banks all appeared to take the news about the starting
lineup in stride. All the players understand that defense and overall effort
will earn them playing time. They also know it is probably more important
who finishes games than who starts.

"It really doesn't make any different to me, whether I'm starting or coming
off the bench," said James. "There are four quarters in the game. We can
split the time in half. [Marcus] could play more minutes than me or I could
play more. If he's having a hot night, if he's playing well, he'll probably
play more. If I'm hot and I'm having a good night, then I'll probably play.
We complement one another. We work hard against each other in practice to
prepare ourselves for the games."

Baker is keeping his focus on the improvements he must make as his NBA
comeback continues. For example, he did not score a single post-up basket
Wednesday night, and that is something he must do. Baker readily
acknowledged that his offense is lagging behind his defense, though that is
not necessarily a bad thing when playing for O'Brien.

"The improvement is coming faster than I thought, especially after the start
that I got off to," said Baker. "I was kind of taking baby steps. Now it
seems like every game and practice, things are getting better and better."

O'Brien hopes that is the case for the Celtics in general. . . .

With one big move complete, rumors of another Celtics trade surfaced
yesterday. The deal supposedly would send Williams and Battie to Houston for
Eddie Griffin and Cuttino Mobley, with the Rockets throwing in Bostjan
Nachbar to make the money work. "There was a rumor, but as far as I know,
there's nothing happening with it," said Mark Bartelstein, who represents
Williams. "I talked to [Houston general manager] Carroll Dawson today, and
he said there's nothing going on at all." Celtics director of basketball
operations Danny Ainge also dismissed the rumor. "I haven't even had a
conversation with Houston in over three months about anything," he said.
"That is 100 percent make-believe. There's nothing going on." Ainge
acknowledged that he continues to make calls about possible moves, "but
there's nothing sticking. So right now I'm being patient and hoping we get
better, and continuing to evaluate and see if there's anything else I need
to try and pull off. I feel like there's things I need to try to pull off,
and I've been [trying], but there's really nothing in the works right now."
. . . The Celtics released guard Rusty LaRue, trimming the roster to 15
players for the regular season.