The Celts lineup

Wow!!!

Gone: Tony Battie (C) - Antoine Walker (F) - Eric Williams (F) - Tony Delk (G) -
In: Raef LaFrentz (C/PF) - Eddie Griffin (F) - Cuttino Mobley (G) - Jiri Welsch (G/SF) - Chris Mills (SF) - John Amaechi (C/PF) - 1st Round Pick

Tony Battie - Hard working and very likeable player who in my opinion always (when healthy) gave it his all, but often-injured and never capable of playing to the level that a starting center of a championship calibre team requires.

Personally, Batman was my favorite player on the team aside from the two stars.

Antoine Walker - What can be said that hasn't already been said and repeated a few million times previously by any fan who seriously follows the Celtics and watches them.

Occasionally borderline superstar, some days mid-bench caliber, but unfortunately for him too often moving from one end to the other. His inconsistencies in every area of his game really limited his value for a team looking to make the necessary rebuilding to become a championship quality team and Danny Ainge realised this from day one. Had he not had previous bad coaching which allowed him to have bad habits from an early stage in his professional career which he was never able to overcome.

The past three off-seasons he spent under the guidance of Michael Jordan's personal trainer, Tim Grover, but as good a condition he came into camp at, his limitations both as a player and as a person (unable to overcome the coaching he had under Pitino - one of Rick's real failures - Toine had (and has) so much "god given" natural ability) always made him the target for the fans.

Eric Williams - One of Jim O'Brien's favorite players. We'll never know what he may have become in a modern Boston team without Antoine Walker, however at his age (31) was never going to be a part of Danny Ainge's long-term picture in Boston. We'll sorely miss his toughness and leadership (in my opinion his leadership was as rock solid as either captain), but in real terms his loss will not truly fit as it allows Kedrick Brown (22) and Jumaine Jones (24) both an opportunity to emerge as Boston's starting small forward if not for the short term but for the long-term depending upon their success, depending on what they plan to do with Paul Pierce, Cuttino Mobley, Kedrick Brown, Jumaine Jones.

Tony Delk - The final piece of the short-sighted trade made with the Phoenix Suns prior to the 2002 trade deadline. While it was Rodney Rogers who made the most impact on that Boston team (Delk was playing through an injury and Erick Strickland was more effective) Delk gave the Celtics some experience in the guard spot last season. He'll not be missed as much as the others but he played his heart out.

Raef LaFrentz - A multi-skilled center who provides the Celtics with options at the center, power forward position that the team has lacked since at least Dino Radja left the Celtics and quite probably longer. His shot blocking ability will be a welcome addition to long suffering Celtics supporters. His inside-outside offensive touch will also keep opponents guessing. He may play a better inside-outside game than Antoine Walker.

Eddie Griffin - Heavily criticized but supremely talented. May in fact possess more talent than Antoine Walker. He needs the right situation to bring it out of him and Boston may be it. Is still extremely young (21 - would be second youngest on the team next either side of Kendrick Perkins and Kedrick Brown). He also is a shot blocker. Has all-round ability. His talent was considered so special that Houston gave up three first round draft picks in 2001(NJ turned the picks into Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong) to get him.

Cuttino Mobley - A creative gunner who enjoys playing the mid-range game. His shot extends to the three-point line (.366 career 508/1387) but makes his living mid-range. You may consider this guy to be the Deluxe Version of Tony Delk. Will become the immediate starter at the shooting guard position and has the ball handling ability to help out the Celtics point guards, inparticular the rookie, Marcus Banks.

Jiri Welsch - A very multi-skilled player who possesses great ball handling ability and court smarts. I was pissed off when the Warriors traded him, essentially as a throw-in to the Mavericks in the original Antawn Jamison trade. Never did I know that we would soon acquire him as a throw-in in the Antoine Walker trade.

I keenly read several reviews from heavily involved Golden State Warrior people who had very nice things to say of him- often commenting that he was one of the best practice players and often beat Gilbert Arenas and Jason Richardson but due to Musselman preferring to play those two as well as super sub Earl Boykins, Jiri's opportunities were sparse.

The Warriors deemed Welsch's problems to be a lack of athleticism and drafted highly regarded swingman Mickael Pietrus which made Welsch expendable.

I believe this guy will be a steal and has the ability to become a player somewhere from 6 to 8 in a very good team. If he doesn't emerge as that we cannot be disappointed as he has to be considered a throw-in regardless of Ainge stating that he wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the Toine trade without him.

Chris Mills - He won't play a game for the Celtics and if he does then he's not going to be considered an integral part at all. What he brings to the team - its already been addressed - is the ability for the team at the end of the season to spend their mid-level exception for the first time in three (?) years.

John Amaechi - a cap-filler added in purely to make the salaries work in the Eric Williams + Tony Battie for Eddie Griffin + Cuttino Mobley trade. I would expect the team to waive him as soon as the deal was completed as he doesn't add anything to the team and in my opinion is inferior to even Mark Blount.

1st Round Pick (Dallas Mavericks) - While the pick will be low (possibly as low as the 29th pick in the NBA Draft) it will allow the Celtics to draft another talent, most probably a European player who we can stash away until they've developed.

The team

Starting Five

C - Raef LaFrentz  - Mark Blount   - Kendrick Perkins
PF - Eddie Griffin  - Vin Baker     - Brandon Hunter
SF - Paul Pierce    - Jumaine Jones - Walter McCarty
SG - Cuttino Mobley - Kedrick Brown - Jiri Welsch
PG - Marcus Banks   - Mike James

What are your thoughts?