Re: Mark's Effusive Praise

Oh, I know I went overboard. But damn it, we've been told for so long that
the only way for this team to win is to play the my-turn/your-turn offense
with Antoine and Pierce that any proof otherwise makes me want to stand up
and shout.

I really wasn't basing my praise on the result of the game last night. Even
if they had lost, I would have been encouraged by the WAY they played. Why
was it such a drastic change? No Antoine. It's that simple. Certainly teams
will scout them and play them differently and the Celtics will have nights
when they aren't that sharp. But when you play the game the right way, the
team becomes better than the individuals involved. And when you add more
talented individuals and continue playing the game the right way, that's
when you see championships. The Celtics are learning to play the game the
right way. As they add talent, they'll only get better.

The thing is, even after Antoine was traded, I had no faith in Obie changing
the offensive approach. I expected twice as many isolations of Pierce. So
seeing the drastic change - and the obvious enthusiasm for it among the
players - just excited me. I'm not unrealistic. I know there will be
struggles and it's not going to go as smoothly as it did last night. But
when you play the game the right way, good things happen. It's just a
relief. I don't know about anyone else, but last season the games were
barely watchable. It was awful. Last night was fun again, and it gave me
great hope for the future.

Mark

--- --- ---

Ray wrote:

Whoah, calm, down Mark, let's not go overboard on the effusive praise stuff.
Remember:

1. Like you said, it's one game and the pre-season.
2. Teams don't have a line yet on the Celtics revamped minus-Walker
style of play and will make adjustments.
This is a big key. The Celtics may steal a few early wins, as it will take
awhile for
other club's to catch on. Kind of like when a hitter changes leagues.
One thing, I'd like to see is Jiri get a bunch of playing
time, as they're going to need another passer in the half court to
supplement Paul and Banks, turnover prone as they are.
3. Minnesota was hardly at full stength - no Olowokandi pulling down twenty
rebounds,
and destroying the Celtics big men. Szerbiak and Sprewell barely
functioning;
Cassell's taking the night off.  That's not the same Minnesota team the
Celtics
will encounter during the regular season.

But yes, the EVIL has departed and that's a good start. Now, let's see them
employ the same effort against New Jersey. That will be an interesting test.

Ray