re: A couple of thoughts on Raef

>a coaching question:  if you keep the ball over your
>head, how do you keep it from being swiped or pulled
>away unless you have hands like Sonny Liston?  I have
>to tuck it under both my arms when i get it.

>Josh

On the offensive rebound the idea is to go right back up with a shot.  When
you bring the ball down to your waist first it lets the "little guys" get
their hands on it to tie you up and bringing it down also gives time for the
defenders big guys to get in position/recover from their rebound attempt.
You can be going back up with it before they can get set to jump.  (Kedrick
is so quick he has blocked some of those but not many can.)

On the defensive end, keeping it up and outletting from that position (Like
Parish did) lets the rebounder outlet to a player heading up the court
already, ahead of the other teams players and starting the fast break or
more-on-less situation (4-on-5 , 3-on-4, etc...).

In many cases the concept benefits the big guy with less then great hands in
particular.

My 2 cents anyway.

<Jim
---