Fine exhibition

I have to say that last night's exhibition game was more fun to watch than most of the regular season and playoff games the last few years.

The Celts actually ran and forced the pace ... and in the halfcourt there was, I swear, motion. People set picks and cut to the basket and everything. If Paul Pierce was double or triple teamed then the open man got the ball for an easy look. Not once did I have to yell at the TV "Antoine, just shut up" or "What the Hell is he doing?"

LaFrentz looked like he'd been practicing since day one, fit in very smoothly. I figured the offense would be missing in action for a month or so, but it certainly didn't look that way last night.

It definitely looks like O'Brien is preparing for a lineup with Baker and LaFrentz starting ... Blount started at center last night with Battie off the bench. Blount is obviously (I think) just a place holder until LaFrentz learns the plays, maybe even by opening night. I think that's the Celts best option really. With Battie's questionable health, he'll be better playing 20 minutes off the bench. Put me down as someone not so keen on trading him (since I don't see his having that much value).

I think Banks should also be starting, though James will probably begin the season at the point. He looked very explosive last night and made some smart passes. With him and Kedrick (!!) in at the same time, the Celts can't help but fastbreak.

Someone else described the Celts as "liberated" last night. The perfect word. They played like a giant(-headed) weight had just been lifted.

STEVE