Walker trade done deal

Well, looks like the trade went through after all. Guess we won't have to
see Ainge's sorrowful face as he accepts Antoine back from Dallas.... and
that is a good thing.

It's funny, but I proposed a LaFrentz/Walker swap two years ago... guess
Danny finally caught on ;?) In any case, IIRC I only proposed it as a
thought experiment to explore the value of trades based on team needs and
balance (the example at the time was Ratliff for Stackhouse) rather than
simply "who da coolest." That Aldridge article BTW was an embarrassment.

This trade is the best thing for the team in terms of personnel since Pierce
was drafted. Of course, if Ainge's first draft pans out as well as it seems
that it might, I would have to amend that statement. But then, would the
draft pan out if the draftees just had to "fit in" with a swollen-headed
ball-hoggedy prima donna calling the shots? It won't be about "winning --
but only Twon's way" any more. Phewww!

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish Walker ill, just that he play somewhere
else. And Walker can't fault Ainge -- Dallas is the THE perfect place for
Twon, as noted by Bob Ryan. Perhaps he'll be able to sublimate his ego when
surrounded by a fairly tight-knit group of players who simply don't need him
or his "contributions" -- good and bad -- to succeed. Yet Twon is already
talking a good game... but then he always did that here too.

But enough about him. Just caught up on a month's worth of past posts --
thanks all of you who have been sharing your preseason impressions. This
certainly looks to be an interesting season in the making, and one that
should improve as it ages, as the team gets comfortable with one another.

It is nothing short of breathtaking to think of all the interesting young
talent Ainge has added in such a short time:

C Kendrick Perkins,
PF-C Raef LaFrentz,
PF Brandon Hunter,
SF Jumaine Jones,
SG-PG Jiri Welsch,
PG Marcus Banks,
PG Mike James.

This a team that has a future again, and in the not-too-distant future at
that.

Let's face it, the team Wallace constructed aged quite a bit in a very short
time, principally through two shortsighted trades, the Joe Johnson trade and
the Baker trade. We were heading downhill by the end of last season. And
with all those minutes over his career, Walker has to be one of the "oldest"
27-year-old all-star veterans there ever was.

We should now be up-and-comers without sacrificing much if anything in terms
of competitiveness in the present. No longer will we have to celebrate
simply getting to the second round, now that journey will be an investment
in terms of experience for future trips. Finally there will be the minutes,
the opportunities, and hopefully the right game plan (look up, outlet and
run!) to allow these players to develop and gel.

The load will be on Pierce now not only to lead and be the sole go-to-guy
(at least initially) but also not to strangle the growth of his teammates
while enduring the growing pains. This will be the final test that
demonstrates the difference between someone who is merely handed the title
of captain and someone who actually embraces the role and its
responsibilities.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Cheers -Tom Murphy

PS See Egg, I'm back! ;?)