Vin numbers may rise: Recovering forward could end up starter

By Mark Murphy
Wednesday, October 22, 2003

The face looking back in the mirror this morning is not that of Antoine Walker
[news].

     It's hopefully not the old Vin Baker, either.

     It may, however, be of the Celtics' new starting power forward - a player
who, once Jim O'Brien reconfigures his rotation for the season-opener at the
FleetCenter on Oct. 29 against Miami, could figure into a more prominent role
than anyone imagined.

     Yes, Baker can feel the pressure now that Walker is gone, and a huge,
20-point scoring void has popped into view.

     But on the outside, anyway, he's not sweating.

     ``The biggest thing with me is that I put a lot of pressure on myself
coming into this season, anyway,'' Baker said after last night's practice.
``For me, it would be the same even if Antoine was still here. I really don't
feel that the gauge of pressure could have gone up any higher on me, anyway.''

     Baker's chronicles, including his fight to kick alcoholism and another
struggle to work into his best playing shape in years, may be adding yet
another chapter to the trade of Walker and Tony Delk.

     Baker may not feel that the pressure gauge could go any higher, but
reality is about to either prove him right or supply yet another shock to the
system.

     Asked if he was ready to start, Baker hesitated for a moment before
drawing on his All-Star past for the answer.

     ``I'm prepared to do anything,'' he said. ``In the 11 years I have played
in this league, in nine of them I started. That would not be an awkward role
for me. But I do want to play a bigger role than the one I played last year,
anyway.''

     Which is to say that Baker wants to at least bring a full-time presence
to the job this time around.

     Though Raef LaFrentz, the main character in the player shipment that
arrived from Dallas yesterday, is a skilled player who can play both big man
spots, Baker remains the player with the more accomplished resume.

     ``Obviously, with the trade, it's a new situation for me,'' said Baker,
who has already impressed O'Brien with his play over six exhibition games.

     Though many initially thought of Baker as an intriguing off-the-bench
option for the Celtics this season, the concept of ``intriguing'' won't be
enough once the real games start next week.

     ``The preseason has gone well for me, so now I have a chance to speed up
my progress,'' he said. ``You always have to be prepared, and I've worked hard
to get to this point.''

     The sad part for Baker is the departure of Walker himself. Walker was one
of Baker's most voracious supporters last season, even following Baker's
season-ending suspension.

     ``I'm definitely going to miss Antoine's friendship the most of
anything,'' Baker said. ``He's a very good friend of mine, and I wish him the
best of luck down in Dallas.

     ``He was probably one of the top people in my fan club on the bench when
I was out there. I think this was a real surprise. I know it's a business, but
it was still a surprise. But you have to be a pro about it and be prepared.''
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx