Re: trade and salary cap implications

I just read this on a message board dealing with the trade

Let's put the Celtics payroll situation in a slightly different way.

With the 15 players currently under contract, the Celtics are paying approximately $59.2 million in salaries this year.

Losing Mills, Williams and James, and assuming Kedrick's option is picked up, the Celtics will have 12 players under contract (excluding our two 2004 first round draft picks) for approximately $51.2 million during the 2004-05 season.

Losing Blount and Hunter, and assuming Kedrick's qualifying offer and Welsch's option are picked up, the Celtics will have 10 players under contract (excluding our two 2004 and our 2005 first round draft picks) for approximately $56.1 million during the 2005-06 season.

After that season, Baker, Battie, Brown, McCarty and Jumaine Jones all come off the cap, leaving Pierce and LaFrentz (combined $26 million for 2006-07 and $28.2 million for 2007-0 and the youngsters.

All this, of course, assume we do not trade Mills and EWill for a max player, which would really put the Celtics in salary cap hell for the forseeable future (but might keep us out of the lottery).

Ken Kokubo wrote:

yes and no, like I said it was a quick look but, Williams/Mills salaries go up as well and that increase would help in a trade situation and with the end of year FA money. In say '06 one would also presume that the cap would be up there as well.