Vin Baker Feelin' Fine

So Jimbo, why not let him truly compete for a starting spot?

(WTNH, Oct. 16, 2003) _ For the past couple seasons life on and off the court has been anything but easy for Vin Baker. He's undergone treatment for alcohol abuse and his playing time reached career lows. But now Baker says the worst is behind him and he's ready to prove his critics wrong.

"It was probably the worst thing I've been through in my life to see my teammates in the playoffs and to see them end the season without me."
The dream of playing for the Boston Celtics became a nightmare for Vin Baker last season. His battle with alcohol ended with his suspension from the team and a stop at an alcohol rehabilitation center.
Eight months later Baker's back and says he's a new man.
"I'm just excited, man. I'm blessed to be back on the floor. I have a new lease on life, and I'm just excited to be here."
Newfound sobriety and a dedication to offseason conditioning has helped Baker trim 15 pounds and rediscover some of his old skills.
"My quickness is back and my rise is back, I think my lift is so much better and I'll take that better than the weight right now."
The eleven year veteran credits his family and fans in the area for helping get through the hard times.
"Every time I go out or go different places people have an encouraging or supporting word and that has been a blessing for me. This has been a tough situation the last eight months, but people, my family, my friends and again, the people I have mentioned have been so supportive and they helped me through it."
Former Celtic player and now team president Danny Ainge says the Celtics are pulling for baker on and off the court.
"Its an opportunity to have a real feel good story, you know, that everybody will be rooting for him this year. So were just trying to give him as much support as we can," Ainge said.