The 4 spot

As a long-time list lurker, I would like to add some fuel to the AW
discussion. I will start by making a bold statement, which I hope someone
can contradict:

No team has EVER won a championship without a true inside banger and
defensive force at the 4 spot.

The names that come to mind:

Silas, Maxwell, McHale, Satch, Jungle Jim
Rambis, Big E, Horry
Grant, Rodman
Iavaroni, Caldwell Jones
Duncan
Maurice Lucas
Lots more, I don't need to list them.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I believe that history shows us that no
team with an outside player at the 4 can win big in the NBA. The great
scorers at that position, like Elvin Hayes and Karl Malone, have a really
hard time winning it all even if they are bangers. On the other hand, the
list of "unknown" 4s who wear rings is longer than my arm. Mark Iavaroni?
Kurt Rambis? Rodman? These are guys who were lucky to score 4 points a game,
but they all have rings. This is not complicated, the evidence speaks for
itself. Too much scoring from that position means that your rebounders are
not under the basket, and rebounds are absolutely essential to win. Duncan
and McHale are the exceptions but it is obvious why.

I believe that Hunter (4 boards in 7 minutes against the Pistons) gives us a
better shot at a ring than AW. Yes, we need a second (and third) scorer, but
not at the 4. Anywhere else, but not at the 4.

Just my opinion.

josh