From: Berry, Mark S [mailto:berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: October 14, 2003 1:58 PM
To: 'celtics@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: C's face point of contention

Cecil wrote:

Didn't Ainge say pretty much the same thing later on in the article?  What's
the big deal?  Besides, it's true.

--- --- ---

It's true??? It's only true because Obie has made it so. Throwing Pierce and
Walker out there and then filling in with a jump shooter (Delk), and two
defenders (EWill and Battie) is good for 45 wins (at best) and an early
playoff exit. If that's good enough, fine. But that's not good enough for
most of us. We've seen this crap for so long, some have forgotten what real
basketball looks like. Other teams have two good players, but it doesn't
turn into the freak show we see with the Celtics. In Boston, it's two guys
taking turns going one-on-one. They do all the ball-handling. They do all
the shooting. The dominate the ball completely and everyone else just fills
in around the edges.

So now we have people who believe that's what you have to do with Pierce and
Walker. Well, it's NOT what you have to do. Ainge didn't have the guts to
fire Obie, and I'll bet he regrets it right now. But he has tried to force
Obie's hand and make him implement a real basketball system. But it's not
working. If Ainge is surprised, he's more naove than I gave him credit for.

So, like Kestas, I'm just waiting for the Toine trade and Obie firing before
we can get back to real basketball. And no, that doesn't mean Pitino style
(as I'm sure someone would sarcastically suggest). We don't have to settle
for mediocre just because it's better than bad. It's still not good enough.

Mark