Sick of it already...

OK preseason is what 3 days old and i'm already sick of writers saying (in some form or another -- either explicitly or by omission) that the Magic are CLEARLY or SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Celtics (the latest: Hoopsworld picking the Magic to win the Atlantic). At best the Magic closed the gap a little, at worst the teams are even.

All these articles/opinions focus on the vastly upgraded Orlando roster, but never really discuss that roster relative to any team -- least of all the C's (who have had the better record for the last 2-3 years. AND who have actually made it past the 1st round!). I would ask these folks to account for the respective rosters before making such a claim so solidly:

BOSTON vs. ORLANDO (rough position/talent comparison)

1. Pierce vs. McGrady -- we could argue till the cows come home, but basically a wash (EVEN)

2. Walker vs. Howard -- For all his faults, Walker is a clearly superior player. I would have loved to add Howard as the 3rd option, but on the Magic he's #2. (Advantage: BOSTON)

3. Battie vs. Gooden -- Closer than you'd think, given Gooden is 1st Team All rookie and Battie is, well, Battie (and closer than the Walker/Howard gap). Even as the 2nd option in Orlando and in 4 more mins/game, Gooden only avg 6 more points than (a hobbled) Battie (13 vs. 7). Rebounds are even. (ORLANDO)

4. E. Williams vs. Giricek -- nearly identical numbers (Giricek 3 more points, EWill 1.5 more reb.). Giricek may be looking for his numbers this year as he guns for a big contract, so I'd rather have EWill (ORLANDO - barely)

5. Delk vs. Lue -- Say what you want about Delk not being a PG (or at least a starting PG), but he's better than Lue (BOSTON)

6. McCarty vs. Garrity -- In 8 more Min/game Garrity could only muster 4.5 more Pts/game than Waltah -- and got the same Rebs (3.5) , Assts (1.4), Steals (.8) & Blocks (.3). (EVEN - maybe even Boston by a hair given the minutes disparity?)

7. Banks vs. Gaines -- Originally Gaines was going to be their starter, now everything i read says the addition of Shammond Williams will allow Orlando to bring him along slowly. What does that say considering the effect the addition Shammond Williams had on JR Bremer? I don't think I'm being a homer by saying that Banks is the more ready player right now -- he may even be starting by the All Star Break (BOSTON)

8. Blount vs. DeClercq -- DeClerq's my emotional favorite here (he led the U of Florida to the Final Four when i was a student there), but would he have been a Lottery Pick if he'd come out the year the C's signed Blount? Jokes aside, Blount was VASTLY superior in his 2nd tour of duty and while their numbers were virtually identical last year (5 ppg, 4 rpg, .6 bpg, 17 mpg), I expect Blount to be the better backup Center this year (EVEN)

9. Jones vs. Harvey -- While i would have prefered to add Harvey over Jones (see again: U of Florida connection) and while their numbers from last year are (again) nearly identical (Jones 2 more PPG, each = 5 rpg, 1.3 spg), Jones has demonstrated his talent more consistently and at a higher level (Finals w/ Philly) than Harvey in the battle of SF-Additions-From-Horrible-Teams (tm) (BOSTON)

10. Baker vs. S. Hunter -- regardless of which camp you're in with Baker (the Don't-Expect-a-Thing one or the He-Can't-Be-Worse-Than-Last-Year/It-Can-Only-Get-Better one (where I'm currently paying dues)), he's better than Hunter, who's numbers were only slightly better than the 0 PPg, 0 RPG, 0 BPG the Dont-Expect camp has Baker penciled in at. If Baker can only repeat his horrid numbers from last year, he's already better than Hunter -- and I'm confident he's going to give us 7 & 7 this year (sorry i couldn't resist) (BOSTON in a shocker)

11. Brown vs. Sasser -- Most would say Even here for the designater dunkers based on last year's stats, but Sasser in all likelyhood won't make it out of camp, while Kedrick's finally 100% (BOSTON)

12. James vs. S. Williams -- Something old vs. something new. Not to sound like a broken record, but nearly identical numbers (8 ppg, 2 rpg, 3 apg, 1 spg) but James sounds like the better locker room guy and seems hungrier. I'm glad we have who we have (EVEN)

13. B. Hunter/Perkins/Cleaves vs. Johnsen/Pachulia/Bogans -- Only Cleaves has played in a NBA game out of this sextet, while Pachulia & Bogans are getting rave reviews, everyone does this time of year (INCOMPLETE)

So by my count thats 6 Boston advantages (Walker, Delk, Banks, Jones, Baker, Brown), 2 Orlando (Gooden, Giricek) and 4 evens. Comments welcome.

- (the other) Mark
Gainesville, FL