Fit Walker helps shape Celtics

Cocaptain hits ground running
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 10/5/2003

WALTHAM -- "Absolutely invaluable." Those were the words Jim O'Brien used to
describe Antoine Walker. Putting aside all talk about a contract extension for
now, there are some qualities that don't come with a price tag. O'Brien knew
that before a summer filled with trade talk. He knew that last May just
moments after the Nets swept the Celtics in the Eastern Conference
semifinals.

"The last game of the season, when we got swept by New Jersey, Antoine
addressed the team immediately after the game," said O'Brien. "He talked about
summer conditioning. He said basically that everybody needed to be in
remarkable shape when they came back. They all came in really solid in
shape."

Including Walker. He spent the summer working with Tim Grover, best known as
Michael Jordan's personal trainer. Walker said his routine was basically the
same as in years past, but the results were more apparent. He has slimmed down
and added definition. His sprained right knee, which limited his mobility and
effectiveness in the second half of last season, is "100 percent."

Being in better shape is just one of the ways Walker has shown his commitment
to this season and his teammates. The other way is as a vocal presence in
practice. Walker was the most outspoken player during yesterday's morning
workout, admonishing his teammates to "sit down" on defense and not let the
other side get to the rim. He made a point of fostering good communication on
the floor, and the Celtics followed his example, shouting defensive cues and
alerting teammates to the open man.

"I like our team," said Walker. "We're very spirited, enthusiastic about the
season, very confident. The nucleus has been here a long time, so we're very
close. We're embracing the young fellas that wouldn't have learned, wouldn't
have listened. So this should be a fun year on and off the court."

With Walker placing the emphasis on defense, selling the aspect of the game
that O'Brien deems most important, it is easy to see why the coach puts such a
premium on his starting power forward and cocaptain.

The Celtics may not have shown Walker the money or contract years he wanted
over the summer, but O'Brien never has wavered from his commitment to the
veteran All-Star. The coach expects a great season from Walker.

"The contract extension will take care of itself because Antoine is going to
have a great season," said O'Brien. "He's going to be a scorer, an assist guy.
When you have great years, money has a way of taking care of itself. I know
Antoine. I know he has tremendous pride. I know he is sick about the way the
season ended last year with us getting swept by New Jersey.

"He takes great responsibility, personal responsibility for this franchise. He
is never going to be a guy that is happy until we win a championship. I just
know how geared up he is and how open-minded he is to any adaptations we have
had to make in our scheme to have a better chance of winning. He also
understands, along with Paul [Pierce], that no matter what we do, they're the
focus of our offense."

That focus extends from scoring to rebounding, assist-to-turnover ratios, and
leadership. According to O'Brien, the Celtics are running because that should
make the best use of the cocaptains' skills. After just three practices,
Walker noted that he enjoys the offensive freedom that comes with a faster
tempo.

"It's a while before it becomes crisp and starts to look good," said Walker.
"But hopefully, we can become a team that can get 15 points off the break, and
that's something we haven't done a lot of. We want to try to create some easy
opportunity baskets.

"We're still going to be a team that goes through me and Paul in the
half-court set, but we're trying to get out of just calling set plays and get
guys to create on their own."

No doubt Walker hopes his commitment to a running game and stingy defense will
be reciprocated with a contractual commitment from the team.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of Sunday_River-Attitash_336x280_banner.gif]