"We feel his bulldog personality will carry over hopefully to the way we play,"

Bulls get bulldog in Skiles
By Rick Gano, Associated Press, 11/29/2003

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Scott Skiles's reputation was forged by his feisty playing
style and later by his no-nonsense, in-your-face approach during his first NBA
coaching stop in Phoenix.

Can he rub off on the disappointing Chicago Bulls or will he just rub his
players the wrong way?

When he took over yesterday as Chicago's coach, Skiles said it was wins and
not confrontations he was seeking after nearly two years away from the
sidelines.

"No question I'm a different coach than then, but I don't deviate from the
core principles that I believe in, in how the game should be played," Skiles
said.

That would be all-out effort and game-long defense, key ingredients sometimes
missing during the Bulls' 4-12 start. Bill Cartwright was fired after the
Bulls went 4-10 and then they lost two more games under interim coach Pete
Myers.

Skiles said coaching players with big contracts and strong wills requires a
mixture of techniques.

"One day, it's telling them how much you like them and how happy you are and
you encourage them. And other times, it's more serious than that and it can be
confrontational," Skiles said, dressed in his new Bulls warmups after running
his first practice.

"I think that is what has been put on me, is that `he's confrontational.' I
think there is subtle difference there. I don't search out the confrontation,
but on other hand, I'm not afraid of it, either, if it does occur."

Skiles had a 116-79 record as coach of the Suns from 1999-02, and was 5-8 in
the playoffs. His coaching methods created friction with some of his players,
most notably Jason Kidd, before Skiles quit in February 2002. He has not
coached since.

"It's going to be a feeling-out process. Scott is going to have to be patient
and the guys are going to work hard and allow him to do what he has to do to
make this change a positive change," Bulls veteran Scottie Pippen said.

"We feel his bulldog personality will carry over hopefully to the way we
play," Jalen Rose added.

General manager John Paxson said his expectations were for the Bulls to make
the playoffs this season. But after a slow start, they collapsed on a western
road trip, losing all five games and have dropped seven straight overall. "I
know a new direction can help us," Paxson said.

Skiles, who will make his Bulls coaching debut Monday at home against the
Bucks, played for Milwaukee, Indiana, Orlando, Washington, and Philadelphia
during a gritty 10-year NBA career. He still holds the NBA record for assists
in a game with 30 for Orlando against Denver on Dec. 30, 1990. He averaged
11.1 points and 6.5 assists.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of BEN-312.gif]