LaFrentz almost fit

By Mark Murphy/Celtics Notebook
Friday, November 21, 2003

Though Raef LaFrentz has two more games remaining before he is eligible to
come off the injured list, the center has shown signs of recovering from an
infection that needed significant time to heal.

     Director of basketball operations Danny Ainge and coach Jim O'Brien both
concurred yesterday that the illness had caused LaFrentz to lose at least five
pounds - weight he has since put back on.

     Ainge stressed the infection - as opposed to the chronic tendinitis - is
the issue that led to deactivating the center in an attempt to help him
recover.

     Ainge said at the time of the trade that he anticipated LaFrentz missing
some time due to knee pain.

     ``Did I count on some down days from Raef when we made the trade? Yeah, I
did,'' he said. ``I played for 14 years with tendinitis, and some days are not
going to be good. I didn't anticipate putting him on injured reserve, but I
did think (the tendinitis) would have an influence.

     ``But the most important thing for me with Raef was the infection. If
this was just a matter of the hot spot, then he never would have been placed
on injured reserve. I was more concerned with his weight, and that something
else might happen with him losing weight.

     ``But Raef didn't want to go on injured reserve. The good part is that
he's feeling a lot better. He sure looks like he's getting better physically.
His countenance is much better.''

     So, too, is LaFrentz' playing weight.

     ``I think he's lost a lot of weight in general since the trade,'' O'Brien
said. ``His wife is up here now, so he should be eating better, and I think
that will help.''

     O'Brien, however, said LaFrentz wouldn't necessarily be activated for
next Wednesday's game in Orlando - the first that he would be eligible for
duty.

     Battie's knee a concern

     In a scene that has become increasingly similar to last year, center Tony
Battie sat out yesterday's practice due to swelling in his surgically repaired
right knee. Battie often missed practices and games last year due to chronic
knee pain.

     O'Brien said he expected Battie to play tonight against the Sixers,
though he also admitted to feeling uneasy about the situation.

     ``Am I concerned about it?'' he asked. ``The knee was more cranky last
year because of loose cartilage that they cleaned out, but yes, I'm
concerned.''

     Battie stayed on the floor long after everyone had left, working on his
jumper.

     Bruised Sixers

     The Celtics (5-6) go into Philadelphia tonight a half-game behind the
Sixers (6-6) for first place in the Atlantic Division. Perhaps the most
amazing element of the Sixers' hold on first is who hasn't been in the lineup.

     Allen Iverson (knee), Glenn Robinson (ankle) and Derrick Coleman (knee)
all sat out Wednesday's win over Toronto.

     ``What happens depends on what team they put on the floor,'' O'Brien
said. ``But it's a credit to the way they're playing that they've succeeded
with their stars banged up.

     ``Marc Jackson's having a good year, and Kenny Thomas always gives us
trouble, so they're really making a difference.''
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx