Baker on center stage: NY media mobs Vin to hear comeback story

By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

NEW YORK - The Vin Baker Story hit Broadway yesterday, with folks in the
nation's media capital lining up to get their slice.

     Fortunately, the show's star is undaunted by the constant examination.
Tracing his steps through his alcohol-fueled suspension and rehab are part of
keeping him clean.

     ``I don't really mind, because I'm dealing with it every day,'' Baker
said before going for 20 points and eight boards in an 89-86 loss to the
Knicks. ``So it's a situation where I don't put it behind me.

     ``We have a saying in (Alcoholics Anonymous) to keep it green, keep it in
the day. So it's a constant reminder to me of where I'm at. That's why I don't
mind retelling the story over and over again.''

     Jim O'Brien has gotten used to the chore as well.

     The biggest difference in Baker between this season and last?

     ``His conditioning,'' O'Brien said. ``He's a recovering alcoholic, and I
don't think there's anything bigger than somebody being an alcoholic versus
somebody that has a problem.

     ``The only thing holding Vin back (on the court) is that we have not
found out how to utilize him best. We're still learning about Vin Baker, and
his teammates are still learning about him. We don't have all of our offensive
sets in, but the longer guys play with the player that Vin Baker is right now,
the more they'll understand how to use him.''

     The change from last season was quite evident over at the NBA Store on
Fifth Avenue.

     Last year, a reporter was standing nearby when a couple approached the
Celtics' authentic section at the store and noticed Baker jerseys (he was
still active at the time) with those of Paul Pierce [news] and Antoine Walker
[news].

     ``I can't believe they have Vin Baker shirts here,'' said the man. ``He
can't play at all anymore.''

     Pierce's is presently the only Celts jersey in the display, but a
salesperson said Baker models could well be ordered soon.

     ``You don't want to play off a bad situation,'' said one NBA type, ``but
if he keeps playing well it's a great story. The comeback combined with good
play could make him more popular than he was before.''

     By the way, the Walker authentic Celtics jerseys sold out at around $70
apiece, less than half their list price before the trade.

     Banks gets job back

     Marcus Banks [news] was back in the primary reserve role at point guard
last night. O'Brien had used Jiri Welsch there against Cleveland.

     Said O'Brien: ``I'll try to do what I did Friday with Jiri every couple
of games to make sure that he gets enough repetitions at the point so that if
we need him, he'll be ready.''

     Banks was very strong in stretches last night, getting four points and
six assists with no turnovers in 20 minutes. . . .

     The Celtics get their second look of the season at New Orleans tomorrow
night. Baron Davis' 37 points in the first meeting still have to be giving the
C's flashbacks.

     Raef recovering

     Raef LaFrentz, on the injured list with right knee tendinitis, is feeling
better these days. But that may not mean he's turned the corner on the pain
that limited his effectiveness.

      ``I'm not doing anything on it, so it's not getting aggravated and it
does feel better,'' said LaFrentz. ``But whether or not that would be the case
if I went out and ran on it, I don't know. That's why we're taking some time.

     ``The dangerous thing is that it got to the point where all my muscles
weren't firing in my leg and the chance of injury might have been a little bit
higher.'' . . .

     Antonio McDyess will take the next step in his recovery from a fractured
kneecap today when he scrimmages 5-on-5 with the Knicks.

     Coach Don Chaney ruled out having McDyess play tomorrow night against the
Lakers, but he did not completely dismiss the possibility that McDyess might
be available Friday against Detroit or Saturday against Philadelphia.
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx