Perkins waits turn

By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
Friday, November 14, 2003

The kid out of high school won't be playing tonight, but he's still very
pleased with his rookie year development. We're talking, of course, about
Kendrick Perkins [news].

     ``I'm fine,'' said the 6-foot-10 Celtics rookie, who's been working on
his game from the protective custody of the injured list. ``I'm just trying to
get better every day and improve and learn. I'm happy with where I'm at.''

     Having played against contemporary LeBron James in the McDonald's
All-American game, Perkins isn't in awe of tonight's Celtic opponent.

     ``I'm happy for him,'' Perkins said. ``But at the same time, I'm focused
because I'm trying to get where he's at.''

     Call for a recountThe NBA had to do some fast thinking regarding the fan
ballots for the All-Star Game after the Celtics traded Antoine Walker [news]
to the Dallas Mavericks. The list of candidates already had been decided when
the trade took place - Walker was among the East forwards and Raef LaFrentz
was among the West centers. The league chose to leave the players where they
were and count their votes toward their new conferences.

     Paul Pierce [news] and Tony Battie are the other Celts on the ballots,
which were released yesterday.

     Baker has supportWere it not for James, Vin Baker's comeback might be an
even bigger national story this season. Baker yesterday was asked if he's
heard any catcalls from crowds.

     ``It's sprinkled here and there, some negative,'' he said. ``But that's
fans. . . . My peers, the guys I play against, they all say that they're happy
for me, and that's the best compliment I can get in this situation. I talk to
a lot of players and they're rooting for me - a lot of referees, although it
doesn't show in the calls that they're making against me. But they all say
that they're for me.''

     Pierce off gamePierce admitted that the new Celtics rotation is
``definitely a big adjustment for me. My mistake is trying to be perfect out
there.

     ``I just need to go out there and play, and everything will fall into
place. Through (eight) games I think I haven't even played well yet. A lot of
that has to do with me. I'm out there thinking about double-teams and
triple-teams.'' . . .

     Battie sat out practice with a sprained left ankle and is probable for
tonight. Eric Williams rested his right knee most of the session. . . .

     Assistant coach John Carroll and wife/writer Beverly Breton-Carroll have
authored ``Confident Coach's Guide to Teaching Basketball.'' The book should
be valuable to adults leading youth teams and even provides practice plans.
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx