[no subject]

"Mike [James] got it going a little bit, but nobody else could really string
together a few makes in a row," said Raef LaFrentz (8 points, 2 blocks). "When
you can't do that, you can't build any momentum. It feels like we gave one
back. We played so well [Tuesday night in Indiana]. We fought hard to get that
`W.' But we just gave back that `W.' So, here we are .500 again."

An 8-2 Chicago run capped by a 3-pointer from Jalen Rose put the visitors
ahead by 7 points with 7 minutes 7 seconds remaining in the third. It took
Eric Williams (13 points) scoring the final 6 points of the quarter for the
Celtics to close within 2 (65-63) entering the fourth. But Boston never led in
the second half. Chicago opened the fourth quarter with an 11-2 run to go
ahead, 76-65, on a Jamal Crawford 3-pointer with 9:28 left. The Celtics came
back with a 13-4 run, cutting their deficit to 2 (80-78) when James hit his
sixth 3-pointer of the evening with 4:09 remaining.

But from that point on, the Celtics' stagnant offense stalled. They would
record only one more field goal -- a driving layup by Williams on Pierce's
eighth assist. The Bulls did not have any field goals over the final 4:28, but
the Celtics put the visitors on the line. And the Bulls made 9 of 12 free
throws down the stretch to increase their lead.

"We just didn't show the mental toughness on back-to-back nights to get it
done," said Pierce (14 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds, 7 turnovers). "I think
the guys in this locker room are pretty much mentally tough. Coming into the
game, nobody talked about being tired. We just didn't get the job done. I
don't think it was anything they did defensively. We didn't move the ball. We
watched each other play one-on-one basketball. It's very frustrating,
definitely for myself. We just didn't play the type of basketball we know we
can play."

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx