Re: is there...

> Well then, if Pierce was going off on his own and disregarding the game
> plan,  then why didn't Obie yank him? Pierce played 43 mintues, and the
> entire second half. Either way you want to have it, it's still Obie's
> fault - he either told Pierce to play one-on-five, or allowed it contrary
> to his wishes.  The only question is Pierce's part in it. - Kestas

< Yank him so that the legion of Obie haters on this list could then
second guess him just like you're doing? Either way in your eyes he's
damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. > - CeltsSteve

Steve, I realize you are still upset over Pitino and now Walker no
longer being part of our team.  Yet anyone who has watched the Celts
certainly must realize that we alternate between looking GREAT one
quarter (new up-tempo style) and DISMAL the very next quarter
(reverting back to last season's classic Obie offense).  And so we sit
here wondering how our coach can allow this  -  each act a course,
each scene a different dish -  to cause so many games to slip away.

The real debate here is over Pierce taking it upon himself to play
iso God, and whether or not that is Obie's idea or his.

In either case, Kestas is right -our team's floor style, all four
periods of each game, is absolutely OBIE'S RESPONSIBILITY.
If Obie does not approve of what he is seeing on the court, then let him
call a time out to reinforce the principles he has allegedly been
preaching.   Can you honestly say you feel he is doing this?

< Kestas, the game wasn't lost in that sequence you are citing in
the second quarter. > - CeltsSteve

Irrelevant to this overall debate and to the salient points Kestas has
advanced.

< Nobody on this list, you included, is gullible enough to believe that
OBrien purposely told  Pierce: "Paul, on the next 4 possessions I want
you to go one on five come hell or high water. Don't pass, don't drive and
dish, don't do anything but put the whole team on your back and try to
win this game right here and right now in the 2nd quarter before
intermission. >   -CeltsSteve

Of course few of us are gullible enough to believe Obie would direct
Pierce to perform in that exact fashion.  It does not, however, preclude
the possibility that Obie directed that the ball should go to Pierce,
not anticipating the turnovers and 4 on1's.

What many of us do understand and what you clearly DO NOT
understand is that it is Obie's responsibility to fix whatever breaks.
If Pierce or any other players are not serving as Obie floor reps in
his preferred system, then put on the floor players who will.

But he doesn't, because he is a tunnel-vision bench coach who relies
upon his assistants to map out general pregame strategies like
''Get the ball to Pierce.''  Come game time, he is rendered helpless to
make significant changes no matter the flow of the game.

What a bore it must be for Obie to wake up every morning as the
same person.

Egg