Re: It's The Point Guards And Ainge, Stupid

In a message dated 11/8/03 7:34:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wayray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> While Paul Pierce has been quasi-Walkeresque of late, the real problem with
> the Celtics are their point guards.
>
> They create very little offense,  and defensively, they're being massacreeed
> by opposing PGs:
>
> Baron Davis - 37 points, 7 assists, and 5 steals
>
> Chauncey Billups - 27 points, 6 assists, and 3 steals
>
> Jason Kidd - 18 points, 10 rebounds, and 7 assists
>
> Like "Big Ouch", baby!
>
> That's why the Celtics are losing these games.
>
> And unfortunately, more dread lies in store with the likes of Gilbert Arenas
> and the surprising Wizards, the Philly crew of Iverson, Snow, and Salmons;
> TJ Ford in Milwaukee, the upcoming Sacramento game, and Jamal Crawford is even
> playing better.
>
> Danny Ainge is the one, who has to take a great deal of the blame for the
> current situation by  not complimenting  Banks and Pierce with a veteran PG who
> can run the offense and defend.
>
> Not that ol' Marcus doesn't have a lot to answer for. So far, when his shot
> isn't blocked -- occurs at least three times a game -- he's shown he can
> score going to the hoop.
>
> And?
>
> Well, that's about it.  His game is obviously in a very embryonic stage.
>
> Somehow the finer aspects of the NBA point guard position, which have eluded
> Banks so far, have been grasped at a more prodigous rate by TJ Ford,
> Superstar Luke Ridnour, and Steve Blake. And you can probably toss in Planinic and
> Barbosa.
>
> James meanwhile, seems to be seeking that perfect 1:1 assists to turnovers
> ratio.
>
> Ainge needs to be proactive and acquire a veteran PG, ship James to the far
> side of the bench, and let Marcus still play his 20 minutes a game and
> develop.
>
> The Sonics with the ubiquitous Brent Barry, the blossoming Ronald Murray,
> and Superstar Luke Ridnour are the club to seek out. They need center help, of
> which the Celtics have plenty these days.Unless, of course, they do the
> Battier deal. - Ray

When life deals you lemons, you make lemonade. The C's don't have one of the
above cited elite PGs and right now don't have the juice (no pun intended) to
trade for one -- unless they want to trade Pierce -- nor do they have the cap
room to sign one as a FA, either. They also didn't have one of those elite PGs
when the other Captain was here, either (and getting hammered unmercifully
for putting up the same kind of # s that Pierce has been putting up lately but
that's a moot point now, isn't it?). Wait a minute, they did have Chauncey but
he was far from  "elite" in his brief stay. :-)

But with the other Captain functioning as a point-forward, Pierce was freer
to focus on what he does best -- being a scorer. He puts the ball in the
basket. He is one of the very best at that. He is not a ball handler. He is very
sub-par at that. Until the team gets a PG or until Banks develops. I agree the
C's need an upgrade at PG until Banks can earn his stripes. That's why I think
your rumored Memphis deal is interesting but instead of the 2nd rounder if I'm
Ainge I hold firm and tell Jerry West that Earl Watson is a deal breaker; no
Watson no deal.

CeltsSteve