Re: is there...

In a message dated 11/7/03 11:42:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Er, Steve, um, uh, could you please PLEASE propose a stupid trade or demand
> that Vin sit so Kendrick can get 30 minutes a game, or something. I um,
> well, I get ...twitchy... when someone on the list has a whole succession of
> posts I agree with and think show nothing but good sense <g>

Kim,

Thanks for the kind words.

As it relates to your facetious request that I propose a demand that Vin sit
in favor of Kendrick,  I couldn't and wouldn't endorse that. Vin needs to be
playing somewhere around 33 - 35 minutes a night if he's not in foul trouble
and he has his "A" game going. And in that span of time, I think if he should
get 12 - 15 shot attempts, With his FG% that's about 12 - 14 points right there
without any FTs or put backs on offensive rebounds factored in.

Let's face it. He is the best low post option the C's have. If Ainge is
successful in implementing a running/uptempo style, then the team should be fast
breaking at every opportunity. I think all of us are on the same page with that
thought.

However, when the break is NOT there, IMO they should run their half court
sets through Vin as the first option. Initiate the offense by working the ball
inside to him as he is a good passer who can find the cutter or open man or he
can also kick it back out to the PG and re-post again. The offense definitely
should be run inside/out in that type of scenario.

But I absolutely agree with you that Kendrick needs to be getting PT. I think
that's why it is only a matter of time before Battie is gone. Kendrick is
making what -- $678K -- vs Battie's $4.4M salary? If Battie can be moved for an
expiring contract and a draft pick to find PT and accelerate the development of
Kendrick, I view that as a correct move.

The Memphis rumor that Ray posted is interesting. The biggest loss would be
in chemistry with the departure of EWill and Battie -- two vets and two solid
locker room guys and the team's emotional glue; especially EWill -- but it
would give the C's one of the premier long distance shooters for the rest of this
year with his attractive $7.7M expiring contract; a young long term building
block and a good locker room guy in Battier, and the second rounder.

Of note is that the C's would be sending out about $11.7M in the three
contracts of EWill ($5.54M), Battie ($4.4M), and Kedrick ($1.758M) but only taking
back right now about $10.2M in the contracts of Person ($7.7M) and Battier
($2.53M). Instead of the second rounder, if I'm Ainge I tell the Logo I want Earl
Watson ($1.325M) instead of the second rounder  The salaries then are
virtually an identical wash and the C's have adequately addressed the PG situation for
the rest of this year. Watson still has one more year after this season left
on his deal and at short money but would really upgrade the depth at that
position. THEN Kendick could get the minutes that Battie was getting and I think
the roster would be more evenly balanced because the logjam at the SF spot
would be thinned. It would also give O'Brien a viable option in Person to rest
Pierce so that his (Pierce's) minutes would no longer be an issue, either.

CeltsSteve