Re: is there...

In a message dated 11/7/03 9:03:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kkv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >Coaches coach. Players play. O'Brien had nothing to do with Pierce's
> failure >to execute and him committing three critical TO's at crunch time. I'm not
> >suggesting he coached a perfect game and your disdain for him is well
> documented >but I'm sorry, you can't pin this loss on O'Brien.
>

> Well then, if Pierce was going off on his own and disregarding the game
> plan,  then why didn't Obie yank him? Pierce played 43 mintues, and the entire
> second half. Either way you want to have it, it's still Obie's fault - he
> either told Pierce to play one-on-five, or allowed it contrary to his wishes.  The
> only question is Pierce's part in it. - Kestas

Yank him so that the legion of Obie haters on this list could then second
guess him just like you're doing? Either way in your eyes he's damned if he does
and damned if he doesn't.

Kestas, the game wasn't lost in that sequence you are citing in the second
quarter. It was lost down the stretch with the score tied 82 - 82 and Pierce's
succession of poor decisions and TO's over the course of the final 3 1/2 to 4
minutes of the game.

And since you insist on questioning Pierce's part in that sequence, can there
really be any question about Paul's part in it to begin with?  Nobody on this
list, you included, is gullible enough to believe that OBrien purposely told
Pierce: "Paul, on the next 4 possessions I want you to go one on five come
hell or high water. Don't pass, don't drive and dish, don't do anything but put
the whole team on your back and try to win this game right here and right now
in the 2nd quarter before intermission. Whatever it takes, whatever bad shots
you have to force or whatever TO's you have to commit while trying, win this
game for us before half time all by yourself."

And I don't understand the hang-up about 43 minutes for Pierce, either. So
what?  Like I said, it's obvious some folks are determined to find fault with
OBrien no matter what he does. People scream when Walter gets minutes and he
only played 4 minutes tonight. EWill is out. Kedrick got 35 minutes, Jiri got 10
minutes, and Jones, coming of an injury to his hammy got 8 minutes. Who else
is going to play for Pierce that could Obie have used but didn't?  Kidd played
41 minutes and Kittles played 40 minutes. What's the big deal about Pierce
getting 43?

CeltsSteve