Re: Jersey

In a message dated 11/7/03 7:14:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Frederick.T.Hurley.Jr.01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> My thinking on this is that perhaps Pierce feels like he is the only one on
> the team who has a lot of "crunch time" experience, at least over the last
> few seasons.  With Kenny Andersonlong gone, and now Antoine, it wouldn't be
> unexpected for Pierce to feel a little more pressure to make ALL the big shots.
>  If you were a veteran, would you particularly trust that Kedrick, Banks,
> Battie, et al are better at making a big shot than you?  Maybe Baker would be
> an obvious #2 option down the stretch, but he has a couple more months of this
> type of play before he begins to really regain some stature as a big-time
> player.  Perhaps as he further establishes his role as the #2 guy, and proves
> he really is back, the Paul will feel less pressure to try and shoulder the
> entire crunch-time load.

The problem is though, none of the three killer TO's he committed down the
stretch had to do with him trying take the big shot himself.

Sooner or later he better realize his job description is not as the PG to
advance the ball upcourt by dribbling after he did carve out a terrific defensive
rebound in traffic; sooner or later he better learn not to make an errant,
lazy cross court pass back to the top of the key; sooner or later he better
learn that if he gets double teamed near the sideline and near the mid court
stripe he is automatically hemmed in on two side by the boundaries and learn to
find the open man before the two defenders converge and he then ends up on the
floor trying to pass while sitting on his arse. Three killer TO's in the closing
minutes of a tight contest. Game over. This was a tough "L" in a very
winnable game and I'm sorry but tonight it falls squarely on the Captain.

On a positive note, Banks was in during crunch time and you can see the kid
playing more under control and slowly gaining confidence. He blocked one of
Kidd's jump shots when JKidd pulled up on a break, he turned on the jets and
split a couple of defenders and got to the rack for a lay-up, and the reverse spin
move on RJefferson at the end of the game was sweet.

Kedrick had a nice bounce back game that should build his confidence; Jiri
continues to make smart, fundamentally sound plays; and Blount did some nice
work on the glass.

CeltsSteve