Re: Tinsley May Be Available

Ray wrote:

"Biggest Ainge priority is to find a point guard. You know it, he knows it,
the rest of the NBA knows it,"

--- --- ---

So other than Tinsley, who might be available? Here are some names (of all
of these, I think Tinsley would be my choice because of his contract, his
style of play and his ability to do all the things the Celtics need a point
guard to do).

Nick Van Exel... This guy is going to be out there whenever someone starts
talking about a point guard. But he's making too much money and the cost to
get him would be too high (Battie and more). Plus, he's more of a shooter
now. The Celts really need a passer.

Brent Barry... He's available, and he'd be a nice fit. I like his game and
always felt he was miscast as a shooting guard. Would have loved to see him
as a point guard from Day 1. My fear, however, is that he'd get here and
Obie would start playing him more at shooting guard.

Jason Williams... He would be a great fit if not for the outrageous contract
that has several more years. Of course, if not for the contract, he probably
wouldn't be available. I really like his game. There are very few point
guards out there right now better at the fast break. His backup, Earl
Watson, also would be a nice addition, but probably isn't available.

Jeff McInnis... We've all heard the Battie-for-McInnis rumors. Not a fan of
that deal. McInnis is a pretty good player, but he's not a point guard. Not
sure this is an upgrade.

Jamal Crawford... Available because of contract issues and because he has
been tough to coach. The package and skills would be great with the C's, but
I think he's a big reason the Bulls are rolling over this season.

Troy Hudson... Another shoot-first guy. He's available because the T-Wolves
got Cassell in the offseason. I like Hudson as a third guard, but he doesn't
really fit the C's.

Brevin Knight... If you could get him for Walter McCarty, great. But not for
Battie. That's too much. But he's the kind of player that would be a nice
addition to help get through the season.

I'm sure there are some others, and the list will change around the trade
deadline. No deals are likely until then. This is only an issue because I
think many of us feel this year's team has a chance to be a little better
than expected. If you could find the right match - a player that fits the
skill set needed (handles pressure, runs an offense and runs a break well),
without a big or long-term contract and without costing much in return, it
would be great to grab him. That's why Tinsley would be at the top of my
list. This team has good chemistry and the parts are fitting together well
for the most part. It would be a shame to mess with that for anything other
than an impact player or a major value for the future (a potential lottery
pick or a promising young player). That's why I'd be cautious with EWill and
Battie. But a Tinsley-for-Kedrick deal would be great.

Anyway, I obviously had too much time on my hands this morning. Looking
forward to tonight's game. Tough opponent, on the road, but the C's had a
few days to prepare. I'm hoping for a return to the passing game and
improved play against the pressure defense. And use Raef and Vin!

Mark