Random thoughts

   Just trying to catch up on the list after a week of birthdays, graduations
and out of town company
.
  Here are my thoughts on some of the topics I missed.

Larry Brown:

Well, it was just a matter of time.  I could see he was getting exasperated
with the situation in Philly and of course his vagabond ways are already
legendary.
I couldn't help but laugh at Charles Barkley's comments knocking Brown the
other night.
In case you missed it, Barkley roundly criticized Brown for leaving a good
situation (the fact that Brown was largely responsible for making it good in
the
first place seemed to be forgotten) and accused him of looking for a better
opportunity to win it all.  "What if it were a player that left a good team
just so he could go to a better team to win a Championship?", Charles asked
scornfully.
You're so right Charles.  No player has ever done that in the history of the
NBA.  ( ;

It would also be impossible to believe that Larry just got tired of dealing
with a star player who doesn't want to practice, can't stay away from trouble
or friends who cause trouble, and can't seem to get to the arena on time on
the
most important night of the entire season.

Anyway, even though Brown is talking with other NBA teams I can't help but
think that this would be a good time for him to go in another direction.  He
has
said many times he'd like to go back to the College game for a few years
before he retires.
North Carolina would have been perfect for him, since NC recruits itself and
recruiting was never Larry's strong point...but that job is taken. ( ;

Politics and bedfellows:

Why is it the only time anyone takes offense to off topic political remarks
is when the offendee is of a different political persuasion?
So it's ok to drop a political reference as long as everyone agrees with it?
Seems pretty boring to me.

O'Brien, the Celtics offense and Danny Ainge:

Like many of you I find it curious that Ainge could belittle the Celtics and
the way they play the game at every opportunity, yet when he's in position to
make serious changes opts for the status quo.
If Ainge truly believed what O'Brien has been saying for the last two years,
that this offense gives the Celtics the best opportunity to win, then why
would he be so critical of it?  If he doesn't believe it, then why isn't he
making
changes starting with the Coach?
This team is O'Brien's baby.  He's had opportunities to get better at key
positions, he and Wallace chose not to.  More on that later.

Chris Marcus:

A name I still see mentioned in mock drafts which just makes me ask....has
anyone actually seen this guy play?
I have.  Both before and after the various foot injuries.
He brings new meaning the word "stiff"!
He can't get up and down the floor to save his life.  He has no inside moves
and his footwork is none existent.
His play against Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament the year before last (a game
I saw in person), was so absolutely horrible it was embarrassing.  And
Kentucky had no inside game itself.  Certainly no one near the size of
Marcus.
If Marcus had been even halfway decent he should have been able to more than
hold his own.  He wasn't and he didn't.  Then he missed this last season
because of more foot problems.
Yet some people still bring his name up as a late first rounder and I still
see him listed in some mock drafts.
It just goes to show you how off the wall some of this stuff can be.

The foreign invasion:

 In SI two weeks ago they had an article written by Ian Thomsen
which was critical of many of the overseas prospects we see listed as 1st
rounders.
It's the only critical piece I've seen by any of the major media.
The only player that came away unscathed was Darko Milicic.
How much of the over seas talent is real and how much of it is GM's just
trying to please their fans with the flavor of the month?
I'm all for bringing in talent, no matter where it's found, but I hope Ainge
is doing his homework and not just playing follow the leader.

TAM