Re: [Celtics' Stuff Payton will be looking for a ring

This is my greatest hope for change (Payton sign and trade for Williams,
trade exception, 16, 20 and Kedrick) if you are going to try and not pay the
luxury tax. The backup plan would be major trade with Chicago involving Jay
Williams, the no. 7, Fizer and Robinson for Walker, the 16 and 20.

But you got to look at what you have left after either trade.

Under Plan A, we would have 3 all-stars as starters, a definite upgrade at
the point guard positon and of the team overall but we would still be seriously
lacking in depth. My hope would be that other good players would see the
upgrade and sign on for the the championship for minimum dollars. This would be too
good to be true. Also, trading EWill would have to be done over stupid Obie's
dead body....

Under Plan B and any major overhaul, you don't really know what you have
until the team plays together. We would have lost a major part of the team and 20
points a night in Walker but you would have a bunch of guys with potential.
Actually as I write this, I realize I don't like this trade. Too much risk to
trade a sure thing in Walker for a bunch of potential, especially since we are
getting a little potential with the 16 and 20 picks anyways....

If we just could use the mid-level exception, we could get the depth with the
16 and 20 pick, keep EWill and Walker and get an impact veteran player who
could help right now and recruit other players who would see we are serious
contenders. I mean, the owners have already thrown away 6 million a year on Ainge
and Obie. Ainge to date has only bought into Obie's gimmickry and Wallace
could make the low impact decisions at 16 and 20. I think Harter could coach the
Cs and we wouldn't lose a thing and you would have to pay him no 3 million. If
you can throw that much money around on management, why can't you throw it on
the players?....

DJessen33

<< Steve--

 << With that thought in mind (getting Payton), I happened to read the
article

 below in today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Assuming that Payton were to
 turn

 his nose up at most, if not all,  MLE offers of a 'mere' $4.5M; and given
the

 context of the 2-3 year window you referenced; what about a 3-year offer for

 $27M in a sign and trade deal [$8M -Year 1, $9M - Year 2, and $10M - Year 3]

 using Eric Williams' $5.54M salary (according to <A
HREF="www.HoopsHype.com)">
 www.HoopsHype.com)</A> and expiring

 contract, the $2M trade exception, and a #1 this year and a future #1?  >>

 I wasn't sure how to compute the figures with trade exception, but I would
 begin by gauging Payton's interest, and end by doing everything in my power
 make it happen.  They could have both draft picks, Kedrick, $3 M in cash,
and
 anything else that I could offer them for Payton.

 P.J.Heff