Ainge hopes to have suspended forward back

      Ainge hopes to have suspended forward back

      By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
      May 21, 2003
      WALTHAM, Mass. (AP) -- Vin Baker could return to play on the Celtics'
summer-league team after being suspended in February for personal issues.

      Danny Ainge, the team's new executive director of basketball operations,
said Wednesday the Celtics are working on a conditioning program for Baker and
he plans to speak with the player soon.

      The team has not disclosed the specifics of Baker's condition. Baker has
three years and about $44 million left on his contract after Boston obtained
him from Seattle last July 22.

      ``Our intention is just to go forward and hope that things work out for
Vin. That's the best option for everybody involved,'' Ainge said. ``Vin is on
the track of changing his life and we will do everything to continue that
process and give him every opportunity to succeed.''

      The team suspended the 6-foot-11 power forward on Feb. 27 for what it
called ``personal issues,'' and he didn't play again. In 52 games, he made
nine starts and averaged 5.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in 18.1 minutes per game.

      Boston's season ended May 12 when the New Jersey Nets completed a
four-game sweep in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

      The Celtics host a summer league every year, and Ainge said Baker may
play in it.

      ``We plan on getting him on a workout schedule, get him in condition,''
Ainge said. ``We've had preliminary talks of inviting him to summer league,
but those are things that we have to weigh all the pluses and minuses as we go
about it.

      ``I'm not saying that those things will happen for sure. A lot of it
(depends on) his progress.''

      The Celtics obtained Baker and guard Shammond Williams from Seattle for
guards Kenny Anderson and Joseph Forte and center Vitaly Potapenko. The team
hoped Baker could give them a low-post presence, but he struggled and often
looked awkward on the court.

      Still, Baker began the season with a 16.9-point scoring average in nine
NBA seasons after playing at the University of Hartford.

      His days as a star are in the past, and Ainge just wants to get him
healthy and conditioned enough to contribute.

      ``I know that's going to be a challenge. It's up to Vin in a lot of
cases, but we'll do whatever we can to help,'' Ainge said. ``He's getting a
lot of help from the organization already. We're hopeful he can come back.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com