Executive orders

Ainge: Walker stays, O'Brien deal in works

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 5/15/2003

n the job just three days, executive director of basketball operations Danny
Ainge made it clear yesterday that the Celtics' future definitely includes
coach Jim O'Brien and cocaptain Antoine Walker.

In light of recent speculation that trading Walker could be one of his first
moves, Ainge said he had ''absolutely no intention of trading Antoine Walker''
and ''will never make a phone call in that regard.''

''I had a talk with Antoine [Tuesday] and told him what I expected of him this
summer, his preparation coming into training camp next year,'' said Ainge.
''That's what we're planning on, going forward.''

With respect to O'Brien, whose contract expires after next season, Ainge said
he was ''in the process of negotiating a new deal with Jim O'Brien'' and ''had
a conversation with Jim's agent [Lonnie Cooper]'' yesterday. O'Brien said the
matter of an extension ''is in Danny's and Lonnie's hands.'' Owner Wyc
Grousbeck added that ''paperwork is under way for the assistant coaches
[yesterday], meaning written contract extensions are being prepared.''
Grousbeck referred all other basketball matters to Ainge.

In a wide-ranging phone conversation, Ainge addressed the style of play he
would like next season, the importance he places on conditioning and
chemistry, and the kind of players he is looking for in the draft and free
agency. Ainge gave his initial impressions of the team and coaching staff,
though added a more thorough evaluation will follow. He talked about his
team-building and front-office philosophy.

''I would like to see us create better tempo in the game,'' said Ainge. ''I
would like to see us become more athletic. We've already discussed better
conditioning. And if we're going to shoot that many threes, I'd like to get
better shooters. I'm not looking to just replace people and bring in my own
people. I'm looking to add to what they already have. They have something
that's pretty good going here.

''I think we're not a championship-caliber team right now, and maybe that's
because I'm coming from the West and I had a chance to watch Sacramento and
Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers and the San Antonio Spurs on a regular basis
over the last six months. We're not at that level and we're not close to that
level in my opinion. But in the Eastern Conference, we can compete for a
title, and that's my mind-set right now.''

Ainge addressed the owners, players, coaches, team officials, and staff
members at the Celtics' annual end-of-season meeting. After the gathering,
Ainge met individually with cocaptains Walker and Paul Pierce. He plans to
meet individually with the rest of the players during the offseason.

If all goes according to plan, Ainge will also introduce himself to a few new
Celtics this summer. Ainge already has a wish list for the type of player he
would like to add, money permitting. He wants ''tempo changers,'' as well as
''hard workers, good chemistry guys, self-motivators, athletes, and good
shooters.'' Ainge said adding a playmaking point guard was a priority. Ainge
has put in late hours at the office reviewing tapes for the draft,
familiarizing himself with this summer's free agent class, and extending his
knowledge of the salary cap and luxury tax.

''I've got so many things I want to get done I haven't really prioritized
them,'' said Ainge. ''As I prepare for the draft, we have more than one need.
If there's a point guard available that I think can help us, certainly we're
looking and scouring all the point guards that are available in the draft. At
the same time, I'm looking at big guys that can help us in the draft and at
adding maybe a low-post presence. I'm also looking at more athletic, slashing,
running, shooting wing players as well.

''I have my opinions on each guy [on the team] right now, but I want to just
evaluate what options we have to make our team better. I want to explore all
of the possibilities. I'm not going to rush into anything. I don't feel
obligated to reward people for past experience. Within the limitations that
have been put before me, I have to put the best team on the court.

''If the best free agent out there wants to come play for the Celtics, I have
to be ready to pull the trigger and I am. But when we're talking about players
that are more role players in the league, I have to weigh which ones fit in
best with the chemistry and which roles make us a better team.''

Chemistry, continuity, and talent will factor into Ainge's decisions. As a
former coach and former player with two championship rings, Ainge said he was
keenly aware of the importance of team chemistry. Ainge added that he
appreciates how the Celtics ''overcame some of their deficiencies with hard
work, with good chemistry, with good leadership, with good coaching.''

When asked what he liked about the current group of Celtics, Ainge said their
desire to work hard. He did not want to comment publicly on individuals for
fear of leaving out someone.

Ainge will meet with general manager Chris Wallace today, and will review
information gathered during Wallace's recent European scouting trips, as well
as discuss Wallace's future responsibilities. Ainge will ''rely a great deal''
on Wallace in preparing for this draft and drafts in the future. Ainge added
that Wallace will continue fulfilling many of the responsibilities he has had
throughout his tenure with the Celtics.

Just as Ainge wants good team chemistry, he also wants good chemistry
throughout basketball operations, including his relationships in the front
office and with the coaching staff.

''Coaches and management, you have to evaluate what's good and what's bad,''
said Ainge. ''I'm not in a situation where I'm looking to make changes on
people or to just clean house and start over. At the same time, I'm not
obligated to just keep people around, just because they're good guys and
they've worked with the Celtics for five years. My job is to surround myself
with people who can get this organization to a high level of basketball.''

''It doesn't do me any good to go draft a player, if the coach isn't going to
put him on the court and give him a chance to develop. We have to develop
through the draft, deals, and development. Deals being free agent signings as
well as trades. But if we're drafting players that aren't being developed or
maybe we're drafting the wrong players, or maybe we're drafting the right
players that aren't being developed properly . . . either way it's bad.

''If we're drafting Joe Johnson and we don't like to play him in Boston, but
he explodes in Phoenix, we have to evaluate what we're doing. If we draft
Chauncey Billups and he becomes a star for another team, then we're not doing
our job developing.''

The players also must do their part. With Ainge putting together a faster,
more athletic team for next season, conditioning will be key this offseason.
Better-conditioned athletes are certainly the least expensive way to improve a
team.

''I think conditioning is a huge element for every player,'' said Ainge.
''That is a focus. I'm a strong, strong believer in conditioning. I think
that's where you can gain an advantage. It's easy to say, `We're going to
trade this guy. We're going to get better. We're going to do this and sign
this free agent.' I understand all those things, but ultimately the players we
have have to get better. I think one advantage you can get is by being in
better condition, and that's where we have to start.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of O.gif]