In a nutshell

I'll just say that it is amazing to me that it took 3 full games for Obie to
realize that he needed to pick for Twan to get a switch off of Martin... I
was also surprised that Coles could actually play some pretty good defense on
Kidd where JR was totally getting ate up the whole series. The fact that JR
was totally ineffective offensively again shows how Obie's system of favoring
point guards who can shoot threes doesn't leave much margin for error....

I'll also say that we finished exactly where we thought we would which is so
maddening. In the middle of the season, when you know you aren't any better
and probably worse than last year, you should be looking long term and
developing Kedrick and Baker and a style of play that will work with them
rather than just going with what worked last year, knowing that it won't be
enough to win but just be happy to place. It is the proverbial struggle
between the GM (who is supposed to look long term) and the coach (who looks
very short term) which is why it is so critical for a person like Ainge to
step in. Obie held way too much power in the previous administration. I don't
know if he is the long term solution at coach. We can let Ainge figure out
whether he is truly three-hungry or just short-sighted.

The best thing for Celtic fans is that we have a person in power who truly
respects the fundamental game and the up-tempo game and their importance in
the NBA game. I don't think Ainge will buy into the gimmickry or college
systems that some will employ....

Wallace is talking about leaving. My rap for him is that he allowed himself
to cave to Obie's wishes rather than what was best long term for the team. He
needed the power to threaten Obie, like Ainge can, and develop players and a
style that will work long term. Wallace's mistakes began with the ill-fated
drafting of 2001 of players to trade rather players that will fit longterm on
the Cs. Then the extremely short-sighted trading of JJ for unsigned RR and
Delk. Then the VB trade, which I still support on paper and for the way Baker
played last year in the playoffs. You got to think there had to be some more
investigation about personal problems; there were too many hints. But here is
perhaps where Wallace was trying to get better which required a change in the
style of play but Obie, as quoted, knew Vin wouldn't fit into his style of
play. If this was true, Wallace needed to step up early and inforce his power
instead of hiding behind the "committee" or Gaston. The ownership change in
the middle, the public snipping of the VB trade and the support at the time
for Obie didn't help Wallace. But he has had his run and it didn't work for
the reasons listed. I'll let him go but not until after the draft....

Let the virtual GM games begin, YeeHaw.....

DJessen33