End of season thoughts

5 thoughts:

1) We all knew before the series that the Nets were the better team. More depth, great PG, better bench. This is simply because the C's have been hampered by a bad owner who wouldn't spend and an incompetant GM who had no clue. The distance in how good these 2 teams are is staggering. The Nets are light years ahead of the C's right now. My point is this... despite all this, 3 of the 4 games came down to the last few possesions. With any bit of luck and 1 or 2 more made shots, the C's could be up 3-1 right now. This is because there is one are where the C's are 10,000 times better than or ahead of the Nets. That is in the area of Heart and Will To Win. I know(as we all should now) that those attributes alone do not get you wins when you play the good teams. But I am confident Ainge will bring in better players, and if the C's can hold onto that heart and will to win depite the changeover in personnel, the C's will be very tough to beat for years to come.

2) One thing I personally harped on all year as something I thought was either 1A or 1B in the list of C's problems, was horrible late game free throw shooting. Interesting that missed free throws cost them this game at the end. (Before someone says that there were other things that led to the loss, I'll say I understand that. I know there are a lot of things over the course of the game that bring you to where you are at the end. But that having been said, If EWill or Paul makes that free throw at the end, the C's are playing tomorrow night.)

3) The Nets are the biggest group of pompous asses to have never won anything. It is sickening. The only reason this doesn't bother me too much is that I have no doubt that soon the Nets will return to their rightful spot in the NBA (The Cellar, The Pits, The Swamps, so to speak) and that the C's will return to their rightful spot (serious challenger for the NBA crown 3 out of every 5 years). Within 2 years these 2 teams spots will be reversed. The C's will be the ones with the 9 game win streak over the Nets, or whatever the ridiculous streak is right now.)

4) Jason Kidd confirmed on the last play of the series what a classless jerk he is. The Nets rebound with about 20 seconds left and bring it across halfcourt. The Celtics, in a classy move, are willing to concede the game and the series by deciding not to foul. Kidd decides though, that instead of showing some class and just letting the clock run out, that he is going to shoot one more three. And it's not like he had the ball the whole time and just decided to fire it up. He was literally calling for the ball (I think Harris had it). So here is the wife beater(I don't care if some think it is tired to call him that.. it's who he is) calling for the ball because he wants to rub it in just a little bit more. I guess though that we shouldn't expect much else out of him. It almost makes me glad at the moment that we don't have cap space to try and sign the guy because it would make being a fan very difficult if he was here.

5) Lastly, if that was Antoines last game, he went out in a gutsy and classy way. He overcame the problems he was having to a great degree and battled hard. I for one, think it is time to trade him. I just think he has taken us as far as he ever will. But he will be missed and will be remembered as maybe the guy with the most heart to ever wear Celtic green. It was great to hear the fans chant "Antoine - Walker" after he fouled out. He deserved it not just for last night, but for 7 years of giving all he had. He deserved it for having a big part in bringing this franchise back to respectibility. If it was his swan song, then farewell old friend.

(of course, if he is here next year, then forget everything I just said in #5.)