when is a fan not a fan?

I've been reading a lot about this guy Berg.  Let me sum it up--please
correct me if I'm getting this wrong.

Berg has (or at least had, depending on which news report you read) season
tickets to the Celtics going back for several years, at least to the says
of Rick Pitino.  During this time, he has repeatedly heckled the home team,
to the point where he got what appears to boil down to a "talking to" for
his anti-Pitino comments.  Since then, he's been riding Walker on a regular
basis.  Finally, last Friday, after spending several minutes hollering at
Coach O'Brien to take Walker out of a game he wasn't playing well in, he
felt moved to give Antoine some free speech.  Walker--and several of his
invited guests, had enough, and things got physical.

Berg is tossed, then calls radio stations to give his version of events,
then files a suit against Walker.  Then we learn he has a website where he
sells--surprise!!--Celtics-related memorabilia, including an expensive
Walker jersey, captioned with a description of Walker that seems totally at
odds with his utterings from the stands.

Berg is not a fan.  He is a coward, and quite possibly a criminal.

First, aside from whether having tickets allows you to say stupid,
offensive things at all; it should be a given that when you live in Boston,
profess to be a fan, and buy seats behind the Celtics bench, you should NOT
be heckling the home team!!

On a broader scale, heckling in general is a gray area.  From my
experience, once I went to a Celtics/Magic game in Orlando--Bird was still
playing then, and the Magic were, well an expansion team.  I cheered loudly
for my team as they beat the Magic, and was happy.  But I didn't feel the
need to yell--for example--"the Magic suck!", even though, rankly, they
did.  They've made up for that long since.  I do feel it appropriate to
yell, "I hate LA" at a Celtics/Lakers game, though it would be safer to
yell that in Boston.

But there's a difference, even when yelling at the opposing team, between
counting off to distract Jermaine O'Neals eternal free throw routine, and
yelling "wife beater" at Jason Kidd.  What a story I read once called, "the
personal and the political (or public)".  Wanna complain about Kidd's free
throw kisses?  Go for it.  But the man's family should be off-limits--for
the sake of his son (even if Mrs. Kidd does come off as an attention seeker
at times).

And to deliberately provoke Walker--who has managed to by and large control
his temper--at the time and place Berg did, only to hide behind "He went
into the stands." is an act of cowardice.  If Berg had tried that with say,
Bill Laimbeer, or Ron Artest, he'd be a pile of goo at Mass General.  No,
Walker should have sat down and called security if there was a problem--and
BTW, where WAS security at this point in the playoffs after having already
had one canister of stuff rolled under the bench?  And certainly his
"posse" (MY word, NOT Walker's) should have stayed where they were.

But if Berg is saying one thing--which he seems to say consistently, and
believe--about Walker, then says something else in an attempt to sell
Walker-related merchandise on his website; then that could be construed as
fraudulent.  Yes, it's a stretch, but I'm not trying to make a case in a
court of law, I'm trying to make an ethical point.

Additionally, if he really has been haranguing Walker "for years", then
Walker has a case for provocation.  He might even be in a position to
collect damages for the aggravation (yes, a legal longshot, but like I said...)

As far as free speech goes, I think this is an admittedly stretched case of
hate speech.  Berg deliberately speaks badly of Walker to fans, teammates
and coach to get him benched--or to be unable to do his job, and cause him
acute personal discomfort.  That's NOT protected.  He's interfering with
the game.  Were I the Celtics Owner, I'd first move him further back from
the bench.  If that didn't work, I'd suspend his tickets for say, a game or
two as a cooling off period.  But at this point, after years of guff?  take
the tickets and give them to someone who at least acts like a C's fan.

That's not to say that "real fans don't ever criticize the Celtics".  They
do, and are often insightful.  But there's a time and a place for
everything.  Had I been sitting there, I might have made a vocal request to
have Walker sit that night.  But when his game is on, I don't mind seeing
the occasional Walker Wiggle if only because there's at least one person
out there who's a worse dancer then me.
(Just ask the bunny-wunnies; they're the ones with sore paws.).  But
overall, the people who buy season tickets should be supportive of the team
when they do well.  From what everyone--including Berg himself--says, Berg
only spoke positively when he had something to sell.

So, like I said, Berg is NOT a Celtics fan.  He's a coward for certain, and
a selfish, self-absorbed buffoon to boot. He MAY be a criminal--that's for
the authorities to decide in the proper setting.  But as far as I'm
concerned, let him sit outside the Celtics home, because the welcome mat is
longer there for the likes of him.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle