Bob Ryan: PC victim?

Just have to add my two cents concerning the Ryan situation. I agree with
many that what Ryan said was stupid, arrogant and he deserved to get called
on it. Heavens knows the airwaves and print media are already awash with too
much venom and too little content.

That having been said I also agree with what seems to be the majority that
of the punishment was far too harsh. A month suspension without pay? This is
way out of line - a heartfelt, public apology, perhaps a column devoted to
examining why what he said was wrong, stupid and gratuitous would have been
enough. As many have noted, Kidd himself was not subject to anything as
stringent (although he did spend a night in jail and is subject to
continuing public shame).

However, I have to laugh when people attribute the Globe's overreaction to
the power of "liberals" to enforce Political Correctness. This is the same
Globe that shielded and coddled Mike Barnicle, right? This is the same Globe
that seems intent to make a mountain out of a mole-hill with regard to John
Kerry's Jewish heritage, right?

It sounds to me like someone at the Globe had a bead on Ryan and is simply
using this as an opportunity to act on it, rather than some mythical
"all-powerful liberals" enforcing PC silence. After all, if Ryan had "only"
said that he wanted to smack Barbara Streisand, Hillary Clinton or the Dixie
Chicks he might well have had his own program on radio, MSNBC or Fox by now
in addition to his regular Globe gig.