Wallace now hot commodity

Blazers, Wizards seek information

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 5/10/2003

lthough Chris Wallace has said his ''first preference is to stay with the
Boston Celtics,'' the Celtics' hiring of Danny Ainge as executive director of
basketball operations yesterday has made Wallace a commodity among teams with
front-office openings.

According to a team source, Portland contacted the Celtics asking for
permission to talk with Wallace about its general manager opening after Trail
Blazers GM Bob Whitsitt resigned. The Wizards also contacted the Celtics
asking for the particulars of Wallace's contract.

Wallace is currently scouting in Barcelona. When asked about Wallace's future
with the Celtics, Ainge only said that as executive director of basketball
operations, he was in charge of ''making the basketball decisions.'' Wallace
has three years remaining on his contract. If he does not leave for another
job in another city, it's likely his job description will include more
scouting.

Not a problem The Celtics were unwilling to view the announcement of Ainge's
hiring four hours before the tipoff of Game 3 of their Eastern Conference
semifinal series with the Nets as a distraction. But the players weren't
rushing to talk to the media about it. Ainge did not plan to speak with the
players until after the playoffs to make sure he did not become a
distraction.

''I've been in the locker room in a lot of circumstances with things that have
happened in organizations,'' said Ainge. ''This wasn't the time that any of us
picked. In fact, we discussed the possibility of waiting a little bit longer
so it wouldn't be a potential distraction, but I can assure you not one of
those players in the locker room cares tonight. Their focus is the New Jersey
Nets.''

When asked about the timing, owner Wyc Grousbeck added: ''One, when you know
you've got the person, you go ahead and do the deal. You have to go ahead and
be aggressive on behalf of the Celtics. There are a number of jobs open around
the league. Danny was a Celtic, he was also a Blazer. He's a Sun. I had no
interest waiting until mid-June to see if he happened to still be available.

''This is a long-term plan, a five- or 10- or 15-year plan to make this team
ultracompetitive. A week here and there, what you want to do is do it a week
sooner rather than a week later and lose the opportunity. I would also add
that the draft is coming in the end of June and Danny is going to be
responsible for our draft, so there is no time to be lost.''

Eric Williams was one of the few players who talked about Ainge.

''That's something outside of what we're trying to accomplish on the court,''
said Williams. ''I think it's great. Danny Ainge has always been a big figure
around here in Boston. He's a champion. He's proven he can coach in this
league. I think it's a good move to bring in a familiar face.''

A bit green According to Celtics president Red Auerbach, the comments made by
Nets coach Byron Scott about black athletes feeling uncomfortable in Boston
were made out of stupidity. And according to Williams, Scott was just
experiencing a bit of Celtic-envy given his years with the Lakers.

''If he made it, it's just a stupid remark,'' said Auerbach. ''You can talk to
all the black athletes that played here. I don't know anybody that is unhappy
that he played here. You can talk to the Jones Boys [Sam and K.C.], JoJo
[White], and [Bill] Russell, all those guys. They've never been sorry that
they've played here. So, what the hell does he know?''

When the fact that Russell faced racism in Boston was brought up, Auerbach
continued, ''He's still not unhappy that he played here. What if he played for
some other town. The same thing would have happened.''

Williams didn't find any truth in what Scott said.

''That's his opinion,'' said Williams. ''Everybody has his own opinion, but he
never played here. I've been playing basketball in the New England states most
of my life. I played at Providence College and got drafted by the Celtics. My
experience has been great. So, everybody has got their own experience. He's
coming from another extreme, the LA Lakers . . . He always came here as the
enemy.''

Sore spot Paul Pierce left with 6:01 remaining in the fourth quarter after
suffering a strained muscle in the back of his right leg. ''It was just Coach
[Jim O'Brien] wanted me to get my leg checked out,'' said Pierce. ''I sort of
pulled something off the back of my leg and I felt it in the second quarter
and it was kind of hampering me throughout the game and he kept asking me what
was wrong during the timeout. And I guess in the fourth quarter he took me out
and wanted me to get checked out.'' . . . Overheard at the Celtics' block
party on Canal Street. Wyc Grousbeck to Mayor Thomas M. Menino: ''We wanted
you for the job, but you were busy.'' Menino to Grousbeck while pointing to
Ainge: ''He can do a much better job.'' . . . John Kelly, 97, an usher at the
old and new Garden for 53 years, was buried in Melrose Thursday.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of A.gif]