excerpts from Danny Ainge press conference

The press conference was broadcast live on ESPN News, with comments from
Red Auerbach, who said, "As far as far as Danny is concerned, he has good
work habits, hard worker--he's a white collar worker and always was.  You
know him, know they type of competitor.  I think in the tradition of the
Celtic family, its a coup on the part of Steve and Wyc to get this guy."

Ainge made a brief statement, saying, "It's great to be back, I'm excited
for this opportunity.  I was sitting around and thinking I'd like to get
back into the game, but not seeking opportunities...We have a tough road
ahead with the luxury tax...I always liked a challenge, this is one of the
greatest I've ever been through and accepted...If it was easy, anybody
could do the job.---The ownership group has "great vision"--I'm very
impressed with their desire, their work ethic, and their direction.

There were a few questions, then.

Why did the Celtics think he's they guy to help the c's come back?

He first demurred to suggest that Wyc and Steve should answer that, then said:

"I've experienced a lot in the NBA...working firsthand with Jerry Coangelo,
an excellent owner.--I feel like I have great--vast experience--but it's a
question for Wyc and steve...

You were a crowd favorite--talk about pressure and people's expectations
coming back here in this situation to lead the Celtics back to an NBA title.

"I know its a great challenge.  I know what my expectations are and that's
all that matters to me, I'm not worried about your expectations...."  In
commenting on possible trades, he said, "Red said 75% of the best trades
are the ones that don't happen, and I don't believe we should rush."

How will he improve the team to the next level?

"It's like golf--easy to go from 100-85, harder to go to next step to a
championship level.. there's 29 teams trying to do exactly what we're
trying to do."

They cut off the feed then, but basically, it sounded like Danny has no
plans to pull and quick changes--or at least, he knows not to mouth off
about it.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle