Gov, Celtics pal may team again

by Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Friday, May 9, 2003

If - or should we say when? - vintage Boston Celtic Danny Ainge moves East to
head up basketball operations for his old team, Gov. Mitt Romney will probably
meet the plane!

The gov and Danny, who are both Mormons and alums of Brigham Young University,
bonded years ago when the former stand-out player for the BYU Cougars was
wearing No. 44 for the Green Team.

In fact, the gov told the Track he still gets a real charge out of the Romney
family home movies of Ainge playing a pick-up game of hoop with sons Tagg and
Matt and their pals in the driveway in Belmont!

``But I wonder if he knows how expensive home prices are here,'' Mitt mulled
with the Track. ``It's not Phoenix.''

Ah, no. But somehow, gov, we think Celts cheeses Wyc Grousbeck and Steve
Pagliuca are going to help cushion the blow with some extra Green!

Ainge, who stepped down as the coach of the Phoenix Suns in 1999, is due in
town tonight to serve as a TNT analyst for Game 3 of the Celts-Nets playoff
series.

And it's expected the Celts suits will be make the Ainge-to-Boston deal
official today although as of last night, the retro hoopster said the deal
wasn't done.

Heck, what are they waiting for? Get the governor on the line!

Side Tracks

We hear:

a.. Boring Broadsheet big mouth Bob Ryan, who was suspended for a month for
his ``smack'' attack on Joumana Kidd, cleaned out his desk when he got the
boot out the door. And it looked like he was going to be gone a lot longer
than a month . . .
Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com