Walker, Minutes, Kedrick, Ainge, Spurs Backcourt

Some thoughts after last nights games....

1. Walker -- Like everyone else its just killing me (and the C's) how poorly Walker is playing. It was really irritating listening to John Thompson say there was something physically wrong with Walker. It's so obvious that Martin just has Walker psyched out.

I can usually handle Walker's shooting b/c he always seems to balance it out with hustle, a key rebound, passing, and overall leadership (his most overlooked quality) -- but the thing I found most disturbing was that just after the Nets stopped our 14-0 run and pushed the lead back up to 5-7 pts, Walker seemed to just give up. While the rest of the team was still scraping and clawing Walker seemed absolutely deflated. 2 times he gave the ball to Pierce and just stood at the 3pt line. That in-and-of itself is not out of character, but his shoulders were slumped, he stood there flat-footed, not ready to receive a pass. His defender -- i think -- saw it and just slipped off him.

I've seen Walker pissed, frustrated, out-of-sync and just play poorly -- but don't remember ever seeing him appear to give up (Remember, while Pierce shot us back during that record-setting comeback last year, it was Walker's fire on the bench during the quarter-break that ignited the comeback). I really wish O'Brien would have just pulled him and told him not to worry about it. I can't help but think that if I saw/felt this from my couch in Florida the rest of the team saw/felt it and it hurt the comeback.

The problem of course is who are you gonna put in? Long? At that point even Long's hustle would have been more than we were getting from Walker.

2. Minutes -- Of course I would have liked to see Kedrick put in, but this is where we're suffering from his getting almost zero playing time during the season. The kernel of truth in what Thompson was saying is that Walker might just be exhausted from playing so many minutes over the past 2-3 seasons. This is one of the very few things that just drives me crazy about O'Brien -- his seeming absolute refusal to develop players or distribute minutes more evenly. This hurts us in 2 ways: (1) Pierce/Walker play an insane # of minutes and (b) the bench is so much shorter when something goes wrong -- like Walker's play in game 2 (I think he just had a forgiveable down game in Game 1, but played poorly in Game 2).

Over the past 3 years Pierce and Walker have averaged 38/40/39 and 41/42/41 minutes a game each. Imagine if you could shave 3-5 minutes off each player's average and give those combined 6-10 minutes to Kedrick, sink-or-swim. Yes the short term loss is Walker/Pierce being on the floor for so long, but there were a handful of games I watched this year where the C's were up or down 15 late in the 4th quarter and Walker and Pierce were still out there. Why?

3. Kedrick -- The first few games next year will tell us if Kedrick will be allowed to contribute. Notice I'm not saying if he "can" but if he'll be allowed. There's no denying Kedrick's physical talents -- even on garbage time rebounds (in the IND series) you can see his hops. But how is he going to be able to contribute when O'Brien barely plays him. Going up against Pierce in practice is fine, but I'd much rather him go up against A. Harrington, Kittles or the like in the 3rd period of an actual NBA game.

What troubles me the most is (again) his body language when he's on the court (and to a lesser degree on the bench).

Have you ever noticed that when O'Brien does actually put Brown in he, on offense, goes right to the 3pt line and just stands there -- no movement, no cutting, no nothing. What's worse, he stands there like Walker did in game 2: flat-footed, shoulders slumped. You can almost hear his body saying "God, why the @#$! does the coach make me just stand out here?". You can FEEL the resignation coming from his shoulders.

I do believe O'Brien when he says he's playing with the hand dealt him. The C's *DO* have good spot up 3pt shooters and little post talent. Why then can't Obie see what he's been dealt with Kedrick and try and play to his strengths? Let him cut through the lane, take his man off the dribble, set a couple of pick and rolls for dunks, let him roam the baseline for offensive boards. He's not fooling anyone 24 feet away from the basket.

And that body language tells me Kedrick is getting discouraged. That he's frustrated. Last year during the playoffs I remember him and Rodney Rogers being close on the bench. You could see RR pointing things out to him, see them laughing and smiling when the C's were winning and giving players 5 when they came out. This year, even when things are going well whenever the camera shows him on the bench he seems expressionless. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I imagine his 22-year old psyche is taking a major beating.

4. Ainge & Wallace -- I'm all for Ainge coming in and steering the ship. But I really hope Wallace will stay on as director of scouting or something like that. While Wallace obviously doesn't have the overall skills to run a team, I think he's not given credit for finding talent on the fringes -- his problem has been holding onto it.

While watching the playoffs I've taken to pointing out former Celtics to my roomate. Last night as Bruce Bowen was lightign things up I remembered that Wallace was the one who first signed Bowen (with the Heat) then convinced the C's to sign him.

Erick Strickland. J.R. Bremer. Adrian Griffin. Even Mark Blount.

Imagine how much better the C's would be if we had a GM who knew how to build a team (spots #1-6), working with Wallace filling out spots #7-12.

5. Spurs Backcourt -- does it pain anyone else to watch the Spurs and think that we should have their backcourt (I won't talk about how we really should have their PF....stupid ping-pong balls).

Which is worse? The Baker trade or the 2001 draft? I won't pretend I knew squat about Tony Parker during the 2001 draft, but then again I'm not paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to scout talent. Wasnt' there some suggestion that part of the C's BDT wanted Parker? Ugh. Can you imagine how good the C's would be if we had Parker at the point? He is a beautifully pure point guard. Imagine how much easier the game would be for Pierce & Walker if they had someone getting them the ball where they want it. This 21-year old made a one-handed cross-court jump-pass to Bowen last night. Bowen was wide-open on the weak-side and the pass was spot-on. Double Ugh.

And Bowen. 44% from 3pt. Excellent defender. Low money guy. All heart and class. Why did we let him go again?