Re: news on Songaila

Thanks Kim. I think that answers my question except for one part of it. Can Songaila opt out of his contract over there since we still have rights to him? Or is he bound to it for the length of the contract?

Anyone know what team he plays for over there?

From: Kim Malo <kimmalo@mindspring.com>
To: "Shawn Niles" <shizzjr@hotmail.com>
CC: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: news on Songaila
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 14:21:56 -0400

At 09:51 AM 5/6/2003 -0400, Shawn Niles wrote:
Does anyone know the deal with Songalia? Can we just bring him back whenever we want? Or is he under contract over there? How long do we retain our rights to him? Basically, if the C's decided they wanted him on the team, what is the process?
I think, because he was drafted as a regular US college player rather than as a foreign player, we own his rights basically for one year after his obligation to a non-NBA team ends. It's a bit more complex, but that's what the version in the CBA seems to boil down to http://www.nbpa.com/cba/articleX.html although the salary cap version is MUCH more readable http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#40
That's why they wanted him to go play in Europe - to give him more seasoning that would let them retain his rights vs sitting on the bench or getting waived, since he was raw and they probably couldn't afford to give up a roster spot for him

Kim