First Round Allstars

May 6, 2003

First Round Allstars: Shaq and KG shine
Joe Schaller

Mini Slam for KG: The only Mini Slam of the first round was by Kevin Garnett
in the Wolves' overtime win over the Lakers.

Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 114 vs LALakers 110 OT, April 24

Scoring: (33pts x 2) - 31fga - 3fta = 32

Rebounding: 14 rebounds

Disruptive Defense: 2 steals + 4 blocks

Rising Stars: Notable first round surprises include Most Improved contenders
Bobby Jackson, Kenyon Martin and Troy Hudson. Toni Kukoc and Aaron Williams
also had outstanding series.

TPR evaluation reveals an Orlando Magic club which would likely rank with the
Cavs and Nuggets if not for the presence of Tracy McGrady.

Portland displayed their amazing depth with three non-starters leading the
way. Damon Stoudamire showed he can still play despite his reduced roll this
year. Another of my discoveries Zach Randolph has finally been given the
chance to display his talents this year and came up huge against the Mavs.
Arvydas Sabonis had my highest TPR -179- of the first round yet did not
qualify for my allstar list due to only 86 minutes played. This brings up the
question, with such a dominating performance how could Sabonis be left on the
bench so much of the time? I thought he was being saved during the regular
season so he could be strong for the playoffs. I have no doubt Portland would
have won the series if Sabonis plays substantial minutes and this reflects
poorly on Mo Cheeks.

More questionable coaching from Isiah Thomas. Why does he insist on using Al
Harrington over Austin Croshere? Croshere had a career TPR season while
Harrington struggled yet Austin's minutes were minimal. Harrington's defense
is not good enough to warrant his playing time especially with the team's
offensive woes. His series TPR was the lowest of all at -9.

TPR scale: 120+ superstar, 100+ allstar, 80+ starter, 65+ bench, 60 = min
wage

FIRST ROUND ALLSTARS (100+ minutes)

First Team

C Shaquille O'Neal LAL, 177