So long, Paul...

Silas has 'good ride' but is fired by Hornets

By Associated Press, 5/5/2003

EW ORLEANS -- Paul Silas was fired as coach of the New Orleans Hornets
yesterday after five seasons in which he set the franchise record for
victories.

The Hornets went 47-35 this season, finishing third in the Central Division.
They were knocked out of the playoffs Friday night, eliminated in the first
round in six games by the Philadelphia 76ers.

Silas said he received a phone call yesterday from team co-owner Ray
Wooldridge, who said the Hornets would not renew his contract.

''The decision was made for me. It was a little surprising, but they have the
right to make their own decisions,'' Silas said. ''We had a good ride, and I
appreciate the opportunity they gave me.''

He leaves with an overall mark of 208-155 with the Hornets, who moved from
Charlotte to New Orleans after last season.

Silas took the Hornets to the playoffs each of the past four seasons, but they
never advanced beyond the second round.

The Hornets said in a news release that Silas's coaching staff also would not
return next season.

''We would like to thank Paul and his staff for all their efforts and hard
work during their coaching tenure and wish them the very best in their future
opportunities,'' team majority owner George Shinn said.

Silas said he was glad the Hornets told him of their decision so quickly, so
he will have time to look for a coaching job elsewhere for next season.

The only other NBA team without a coach right now is the Toronto Raptors, who
fired Lenny Wilkens right after the regular season ended

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of N.gif]