Re: Utah game

At 09:53 AM 3/25/2003 -0500, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
The one concern in the wake of last night's game is the team's state of
mind. Will they take the result as an encouraging step in the right
direction, or will they look at it as wasted effort and not put out the same
kind of energy tomorrow?
Actually that particular either/or doesn't concern me. The number of teams upcoming under .500 and the C's tendency to play down to perceived (not necessarily actual) level of competition concerns me. At bottom, that's what cost them Denver, because they realized their mistake too late and what talent Denver has matches up against one of our weaker areas with guys like Hilario.

I'm too lazy to look at the numbers, but is Grant Long that much better on
the boards than Walter? I don't sense it watching the games.
Then we're seeing something different. I don't know what the stats show and don't care enough to look them up either, but the big difference is Grant is one of the **very** few people on this team whose immediate instinct is always to go in for the board, paired with the bulk to be willing to bang a bit for it. Whether or not he actually gets all of them, at least he makes the effort and changes things slightly just by being in there banging. Walter gets some rebounds, but not the same sort and doesn't GO for them as consistently.

That being said, yeah, we do lose some other things on the swap, but the banging and boards could play a big role in the playoffs where it's more half court, and I've wondered if Obie was looking towards getting some rust off him to make him more useful then vs just swapping minutes for the sake of doing so or even for the sake of thinking Long made us better now.

I don't know if Bremer is regressing or if Obie is ruining him,
Sigh. Gotta love Celtics fans.
Kim