Shammond on Baker

No one has come out smelling very good from the Baker debacle - not
Wallace, not the owners, not Obie, not Baker.  Should we be surprised
that its stench has now infected the entire roster?

Egg
Williams plays defense
Ex-teammate sticks up for friend Baker

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 3/23/2003

DENVER - Shammond Williams and Vin Baker are good friends. And that
hasn't changed since Williams was traded to Denver Feb. 20 and Baker
was suspended by Boston Feb. 27 for alcohol problems.

When asked what he thought about Baker being suspended, Williams
spoke his mind: ''To be honest with you, I just felt like it was a bunch
of nonsense, really. Once he started having his problems [playing], he
wasn't drinking. The last three weeks I was there, we were together
and he wasn't drinking like they quote-unquote said Vin was drinking.
He wasn't drinking like that.

''Other [Boston] teammates were with us. My past teammates know that
he wasn't drinking like that. He drank no more than probably anybody
else who drinks. But I guess when you look at production and he's only
getting 4 points a game, somebody wants to blame something ... I don't
know if they were trying to force him out, but I think it's more made
up than it actually is.''

Williams wondered whether Baker was the only one to blame for his
downturn in production, questioning the system.

''I've talked to him and he's doing fine,'' said Williams. ''Vin's a
great individual, a God-fearing individual. When you have God on your
side, no matter what people say about you or how they try to treat you,
things are always going to work out for you. He's cool.''

Williams also essentially said he's cool with his new team and his new
role in Denver. He may be on the worst team in the Western Conference,
but the Nuggets are giving him a chance to play. He entered last
night's game averaging 8.8 points per game and 4.8 assists in 26.3
minutes.

In Denver's 90-80 victory over the Celtics last night, Williams had 9
points and eight assists.

''It's going good,'' said Williams. ''I'm biding my time and trying to
take advantage of the opportunities I have as a basketball player. It's
a young basketball team and I've been allowed to be somewhat of a
leader on the team, which is a strength for me.''

That said, Williams harbors no ill will toward the Celtics.

''I heard some things that were said about me,'' said Williams. ''I was
like, ` Damn.' Stuff like my attitude. Everybody has their own opinion.
That's fine. I have no hard feelings to [the Celtics], especially my
teammates.''

A Long view

As the playoffs approach, O'Brien is rounding his rotation into shape.
And he is looking carefully at Walter McCarty and Grant Long at backup
small forward. Lately, there has been a little more Long and a little
less McCarty. ''We're trying to get him ready for a good end of the
year,'' said O'Brien. ''And trying to see in any particular game
whether Walt or Grant is the person that we need at the backup 3-spot.
A lot depends on whether the other team is trapping; then you want
Walt, a deep shooter, in. So Grant's going to continue to get a look at
both forward spots.'' Long had 2 points in 18 minutes last night;
McCarty had one rebound in seven minutes ... So what exactly did Mark
Blount say to the Lakers' Rick Fox late in the third quarter Friday
when both picked up technicals? Well, Blount wouldn't exactly say.
''Not one word is printable,'' he said. ''Not one word. As a matter of
fact, I've got to call my mom and apologize.''

This story ran on page E3 of the Boston Globe on 3/23/2003.
) Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.