Uh oh

Anyone else really starting to get concerned? These last two were HUGE games
against struggling teams, and the team laid eggs both nights. Someone said
last year's team would have won at least one of these games and competed in
both. That's exactly right. Instead, they were terrible defensively and,
obviously, offensively. They didn't even compete hard.

Someone else raised the question of the team tuning Obie out? I'm starting
to wonder the same thing. Obie convinced them to expend a lot of energy and
commit to defense, and it worked. But I'm not so sure the players are making
that same commitment now. Is Obie losing them? I don't know, but several of
these players have shown a willingness to do that. I think that reveals
something about a person's character. I said it then and no one agreed, but
I still believe it's true. I don't know if that's happening now (it
certainly isn't happening as obviously as it did then), but it wouldn't
surprise me.

As for the on-court issues, several things...

... Has the point about point guards been made yet? Geez, talk about a
terrible, ugly, inefficient offense. Is there an offense? One-on-one, kick
out for a three-pointer. That's it, isn't it? Everyone else in the NBA is
trending toward motion, passing, balanced offense and the Celtics are
embracing the worst trends of the last NBA decade-one-on-one play and
constant isolations. It's just another example of this BDT being behind the
NBA learning curve. They're behind in international scouting and they're
behind in the thinking on offense. Who needs a point guard, right?
Meanwhile, teams like Dallas (Nash and Van Exel), Sacramento (Bibby and
Jackson) and Milwaukee (Payton and Cassell) are playing two point guards in
the same backcourt for long stretches. And their point guards aren't
stand-still, spot-up, three-point shooters. They run, they move with and
without the ball, they create openings for teammates and they find those
teammates when they're open. Who creates opportunities for others on this
team? Other than a kick-out three-pointer, obviously.

... Antoine played 40 minutes last night with two assists. And he's the de
facto point guard? And five rebounds. He's the power forward? But he got his
minutes. Obie got that message loud and clear.

... Let's just say it. Pierce had about a three-week stretch where he played
like he did last season. Before that and after, he has been well below
average by his standards. I don't know what's wrong, but there are times he
looks completely confused out there. This guy desperately needs a point
guard. He's a finisher. He isn't cut out for initiating the offense all the
time. He should be running the wings, playing on the wing, roaming the
baseline, finding the creases a point guard can create. His game would
flourish if he was just asked to do less.

... They need to clean house. Wallace, Papile, Obie... gone. Walker...
traded. Find a point guard. Find a power forward. Start building a team
instead of a two-man circus act.

... Saw Chris Bosh play last night. He's projected as a top-five pick if he
comes out. Freshman big man from Georgia Tech. The following analysis is
based on seeing him just one time, so take it for what it's worth: He's
good, but in the Stromile Swift/Drew Gooden mold. He's certainly not an
impact player right away. If the planets align just right, he might turn
into a McDyess, but that's projecting quite a bit. Nice player, but not a
guy you trade Antoine for (if you trade Antoine for a pick, as Ray
suggests). I think the only draft pick out there right now that you trade
Antoine for is Milicic. If you could get a good player and a pick that turns
into someone like Bosh, that's different. But a straight-up trade for
anything other than a top-notch prospect doesn't accomplish what you need.
They blew that chance when they didn't make a move for Gasol in 2001.

That's it. Disgusted by the effort and performance the last two nights. But
it has to get better, right? It's not like we play the Lakers tomorrow or
anything...

Mark