Re: Hoopsworld column

I find myself thinking the same things as I "scout" the college games this
season. I see a guy like T.J. Ford, who is just a thrill to watch, and
automatically discount him because he couldn't survive as a spot-up shooter.
It's hard to get excited about anyone because all they'll be allowed to do
is spot up and wait for occasional passes from the captains. It's just like
Bremer, who now takes a higher percentage of his shots from 3-point range
than any player in the NBA. This guy was a basketball player. Now he's a
spot-up shooter.

My guess is the Celts try to move up and find an Eric Williams replacement
in the draft-one that can drain the spot-up 3-pointer. A Josh Howard type,
or, as Josh suggested, some unknown European. It really is a shame. The
worst of it is I bet Obie goes into the offseason believing he has his point
guard. All of us who have hoped for a point guard to save this offense are
wasting our energy. Obie has what he wants-a spot-up shooter and defender-at
that spot. And he's cheap!

Anyway, speaking of the draft, I'm going to throw out a name to watch if you
get a chance to catch Iowa in the NIT. He's not a prospect for this year or
next year, or probably even the year after. He's a freshman point guard
named Jeff Horner. He looks like he's straight out of Hoosiers, but he has a
lot of Jason Williams in his game, and I mean that in a good way. The kid
LOVES to pass, and he makes some beauties. He had about three WOW
behind-the-back passes and several other highlight-worthy passes during his
stint on the floor last night. He put on a show. Will he ever be an NBA
prospect? Who knows? But he's a treat to watch when he's in his groove. A
really special passer, and those guys are few and far between these days.

Mark

P.S. Just my opinion, but the only thing I care less about than someone
dropping off an email list over some silly spat is a long line of drivel
about their righteous indignation and above-it-all attitude. Get over
yourselves. It's a basketball email list.

Josh wrote:

The problem, of course, is that
any of the above players, once imprisoned in Boston's
offense, will cease to exist as basketball players and
just become spot-up shooters, as Bremer has.