Re: good column, Josh

I had a completely opposite reaction.

>I liked the point of view.  As you said, we've seen mostly "pile-on"
journalism on this one.  While I can understand not
>wanting to deviate from a productive, well-integrated offensive machine to
fit someone in, that's not our situation.  We're
>badly in need of low-post scoring and we fail to implement that part of our
game.  I think we've seen recently that Battie
>could contribute more points at a high percentage, but he gets few
opportunities in this offense.
>Oh, well.  We wait.  Gene

>guys,

>good column up -- nothing you haven't read before,
>but well and forcefully stated...if I do say so myself.

>josh

Snip...

>It's a sad story, and I can't believe that it ever could have been told
about the Celtics.

I don't think it has been.  You throw out a lot of innuendo and comments
typically made by an enabler to absolve the "failed" for their failures.
Instead of looking to help the person with the problem you rail against the
coach for not playing him more.  It's as if you think more playing time
would have resolved the alcohol problem.  What are you thinking?

>Baker, it will be remembered, came to Boston determined to rebuild his
career.
Snip...
>There was no hint or history of blowing uncontested lay-ups, weeping in the
locker room, or pulling DNPs in blowouts.

You must be the only person that follows the NBA that missed these reported
stories about Baker in Seattle.  Do you think rebuilding his career also
meant overcoming a "problem" he was having?

>I've already gone over ad nauseam in this space what I thought might happen
if the stubborn, hidebound O'Brien didn't try to >incorporate Baker's
still-formidable low-post skills into the Celtics' ludicrously
perimeter-heavy offense. How right I was!

I like Baker and have supported the trade, in fact, but this is just
nonsense for nonsense sake.  The Celtics would have played Baker if he could
have contributed.  Battie doesn't shoot 3's.  Mark Blount gives more effort
then Baker has.  Baker hasn't given the effort necessary to stay on the
floor.  It's as simple as that.

Baker, his father and his agent all signed off on this suspension.  What are
the odds an agent is going to agree to screw his client to assist the
Celtics?  None, not a chance.  What are the odds his father is going to
screw his son for the benefit of the Celtics?  Even less of a chance.  Why
did they?  Why did they waive their right to appeal the suspension?  Perhaps
to keep the Celtics from publicizing the actual facts. You think?

There is more to this problem that the Baker's don't want to be made public.
Give the Celtics credit for not "telling all" to turn negative opinion away
from themselves by agreeing to the gag agreement.  It has been reported that
Baker gets back a large percentage of the money he is being docked "if"
Baker meets certain goals.  Goals that were determined by Baker himself, his
father and his agent along with the Celtics.  Who is the "demon" then?  His
father? The agent?  Baker himself?  No, that's right, it's his employer
those bastards!  Imagine them wanting him to get healthy and paying him
millions to do it.  What cruelty!

Imagine Baker, his father, his agent and his employer agreeing that if he
can't/won't get healthy he should take some financial responsibility for his
actions.  Outrageous!  The nerve of some people!

Do we know if Baker has been coming to practices or the games, drunk?
No/maybe?  What about drinking at half-time?  No/maybe?  The Celtics aren't
telling.  Neither are the Bakers.  I don't know either.  But considering the
outrage that will come from other enablers  err... the Union, it must have
been something out of control.

What do we know?

We know that his family, his former teammates and apparently most people
that know him, know that he has a big drinking problem, at least publicly
it's being called a dring problem.  But who knows.

We know he has been in denial of his problem for the whole year, at least.
We know that his father, his agent and the Celtics have chosen to get
involved to try and save Baker from himself.  He has proven he can't/won't
save himself.

Thank goodness the Celtics and those around Baker have chosen to put his
well being ahead of everything else.  The only people talking about cap
relief, aren't the Celtics or the Baker's.  So why bring it up?

Get well soon Vin.  Come back if/when your life is under control. You have
enough money to retire and never work a day in your life. Basketball is only
a game.  Ignore the enablers and take care of what is important in life.

<Jim