Banks, Celtics off and running

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 6/28/2003

ALTHAM -- Few predictions come easier than this: Marcus Banks will be the
Celtics' starting point guard next season. Coach Jim O'Brien did not say that
yesterday when Banks and fellow first-round pick Kendrick Perkins were
introduced at an afternoon press conference. In fact, as O'Brien talked about
the rookies earning minutes, Banks nodded. But there was also the hint of a
grin on Banks's face.

Banks knows how much the Celtics wanted him. He received a commitment a month
ago and played his part by forgoing workouts with other teams. Banks knows he
is an ideal point guard for the running team envisioned by director of
basketball operations Danny Ainge. The Runnin' Rebel left Celtic scouts
impressed with his speed. Banks possesses the defensive mind-set and aptitude
coveted by O'Brien. And Banks said that playing time should be predicated
largely on defensive ability. With statements like that, it is no wonder
O'Brien smiled through most of the press conference.

The biggest reason Banks has become the favorite to start next season is his
confidence. Some scouting reports perceived that attitude as a liability.
What's wrong with Banks saying he's ''not backing down against'' the likes of
NBA All-Stars Allen Iverson and Gary Payton? Banks's father, Arthur, cannot
remember a time when Banks did not have a little bit of swagger.

''We drafted him to be a guy that's going to run the show for us, how quickly
he does that is going to be up to him,'' said O'Brien. ''You need somebody
with that fire, that cockiness, that desire. I think he has that. He's got all
the athletic talent that you could ever want from anybody. You could stick him
in a footrace with or without the basketball against anybody. He's as
hard-nosed as you're going to find a guy.''

During his introduction to the media (endorsement from O'Brien included),
Banks's confidence seemed to portend a strong start. Banks sounded every bit
the floor leader point guards are expected to be. He is smooth and rarely
hesitates, at least when it comes to answering questions. And Banks believes
he is just what the Celtics need. When asked if he has always been confident
about reaching the NBA, Banks answered in predictable fashion.

''There was no doubt about it,'' he said. ''Ever since I was a little kid, I
thought I could play in the NBA. The kind of guy I am, I never back down from
anyone. It doesn't matter who it is. Gary Payton. Allen Iverson. I'm going to
come to play. When those guys get caught, I'm going right at them. This comes
from hard work and being confident in yourself. I have a lot of confidence and
I feel I can play at any level. For me, making it to the NBA, that's a great
accomplishment, but I'm here for business.''

And Banks is glad ''here'' means Boston, even though the Grizzlies made him a
lottery pick (No. 13) in Thursday night's draft. Prior to the announcement of
the 13th selection, Banks told his mother, Sabrina, he did not want to go to
Memphis. When his name was called, he had mixed emotions. ''My facial
expressions were kind of screwed up,'' said Banks. He soon learned a trade was
in the works, much to his relief.

But given the fact he attended Dixie (Utah) State Community College for two
years before moving on to UNLV for two seasons, Banks knows a little about
detours. While playing for UNLV, Banks earned a reputation as a strong
defensive player and was Mountain West Conference co-defensive player of the
year as a senior. He led the conference in steals (2.8 per game) and was
seventh in the nation. Still, Banks is proud of the offensive improvements he
made under the tutelage of former UNLV assistant (now Western Illinois head
coach) Derek Thomas.

''My hat is off to Derek Thomas,'' said Banks. ''He did a lot of individual
work with me that he didn't have to do. He made me a better person and a
better player. He made me understand the true love of basketball. He made me
get up every morning at 8:30, 9 o'clock and work out every morning and work
out by myself. A lot of guys didn't do it. They were in bed sleeping. He was
telling me, `Look, you need to be able to hit this shot. This is what to
expect when you get to the NBA.' ''

Before coming to UNLV, Thomas worked for the Atlanta Hawks. Banks arranged
early-morning workouts and stayed after practice to improve his 3-point
shooting and ballhandling skills. As a senior, Banks shot 34 percent from the
3-point arc and had 1.4 assists for every turnover. There is room for
improvement, and Banks is eager to learn and play with Celtics cocaptains
Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce.

Growing up in Las Vegas, with the distractions of the Strip nearby, Banks is,
well, confident, nothing will take his focus away from his career in Boston.

Fans will get their first look at Banks and Perkins in a couple of weeks
during the Celtics' summer league. Brandon Hunter, a 6-foot-7-inch forward
from Ohio University, was the team's third selection. Ainge and O'Brien said
the biggest challenge for the rookies will be maintaining a strong work
ethic.

''My expectations are very high,'' said Banks. ''I think we're only a couple
pieces away and I'm an added piece to that puzzle. I'm willing to come in here
and work and learn and do whatever it takes to get this team back on top where
they should be. I enjoy doing this. I love it. This my job. This is my life. I
come to work every day to do this. Why not try to be the best at it?''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of W.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of re_bigad_052103_1.gif]