New C's glad to be green

by Dan Ventura
Saturday, June 28, 2003

The first time Leo Papile saw Kendrick Perkins play in an AAU tournament, he
knew he was watching something special.

      Somebody's Got
      To Say It
      The Herald's fearless news coverage consistently gives readers the story
behind the story.
      Get Home Delivery
      Access Columnists
      Subscribe to eEdition

``All you had to do was look at him play for a few minutes,'' said Papile, the
Celtics director of personnel. ``Even though our BABC team (which Papile
coaches in the summer) beat them pretty easily (83-50), Kendrick was something
else. I remember 15 NBA scouts were there that day in Detroit and I told every
one of them that Perkins was good enough to possibly be the No. 2 pick in the
2003 draft behind LeBron James, and that was 24 months ago.''

Fortunately for the Celtics, Perkins found his way outside the lottery and
into their laps (thanks to a draft night deal with Memphis). Perkins and the
Celtics' top pick, Marcus Banks, were introduced at a press conference
yesterday at The Sports Authority Center in Waltham. Second-round pick Brandon
Hunter out of Ohio missed a flight and the gathering.

``There's been a lot of talk the last 24 hours about how excited we are to
have these two guys in the program,'' said Celtics president of basketball
operations Danny Ainge. ``We're looking forward to working with them. They
have very bright futures depending on how much they are willing to work and
how good they want to be. That will be the determining factor.''

Added Celtics coach Jim O'Brien: ``For as long as the Celtics have been a
franchise, they have looked for talent and character. We think we have that in
both of these young men.''

Though Banks grew up a fan of Michael Jordan and the Bulls, he was hoping the
Celtics would call his name on draft night. When NBA commissioner David Stern
walked to the podium and announced that the Grizzlies had taken him with the
13th pick, the 6-foot-2 point guard was in a state of shock.

``I was sitting with my mom and I told her I didn't want to go (to Memphis),''
said Banks, who averaged 20.3 points and 5.5 assists a game as a senior at
UNLV. ``But I knew it was something I would have to deal with and just make
the best of it. When I found out 10 minutes later that the Celtics traded for
me, I was very excited.''

Perkins, the first high schooler ever drafted by the Celtics, felt he was
destined to be wearing Celtic Green. He drew chuckles from the press when he
recalled the final 48 hours leading up to the draft.

``Everywhere I went, I was seeing Celtics things popping, people wearing
Celtics jerseys,'' said Perkins, a 6-foot-10 center who averaged 27.5 points,
16.4 rebounds and 7.8 blocked shots a game as a senior at Ozen High in
Beaumont, Texas.

While the 18-year-old Perkins will be gradually eased into the frontcourt
rotation, the Celtics are expecting Banks to be able to step in immediately
and contribute.

``Ever since I was a kid, I thought I could play in the NBA,'' said Banks.
``I've had to overcome some obstacles. I've come a long way because I've
wanted it more than the next guy and that comes from dedication. I am a very
dedicated guy, I love my job.

``I'm never going to back down from anyone, whether it's Gary Payton or Allen
Iverson,'' continued Banks, who was co-Defensive Player of the Year in the
Mountain West Conference. ``That (attitude) comes from hard work and having
confidence in yourself and I have a lot of confidence in myself.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pick_upBH.gif]