Ben Pepper Article

Herald Sun of Australia

Hot Pepper vital to recipe for success
By MICHAEL HORAN
25jun03

VICTORIA Giants are becoming just that after this week completing a
formidable front line for the coming NBL season.

The Giants have regained 213cm centre Ben Pepper, who has returned after
two troubled seasons with the Wollongong Hawks, and have added 205cm
import Adam Ballinger after successful negotiations.
Ballinger captained the powerful Michigan State University for the past
two years, went to the NCAA's Final Four three times and comes to
Australia with a big reputation as a rebounder and shot-blocker.

Pepper, 27, played with the Giants in 1998 and the subsequent two
seasons when they merged with the Magic to become the Titans, before
being lured north.

In a 226-game NBL career, he has averaged 11.3 points and 6.2 rebounds
per game.

The Giants already have secured proven import Rob Feaster, who in two
seasons with the Perth Wildcats averaged 19.3 points and 6.8 rebounds a
game.

"It's good to be back, I've missed Melbourne," said Pepper, who was
drafted by the NBA's Boston Celtics in 1997.

"From what I've seen of (coach) Mark Wright and what I've heard, it's a
good move. He breeds unity, his players perform for him and that's what
I want to get back to.

"Last year with a very hastily assembled group that had little
credentials, they won nine games and with a little bit of luck could
have sneaked a playoff spot. That says volumes for the coach."

Ballinger earned the nickname of "Chairman Of The Boards" in his time
with the Michigan State Spartans and was selected to the All-Big Ten
Third Team and finished his collegiate career in MSU's top 10 in blocked
shots.

He also has a legitimate outside shot, hitting at just under 40 per cent
through his days as a student.